any info on cape cod bay/race point tuna?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captmatt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in RI on vacation for the next ten days. I was wondering if anyone has fished cape cod bay or Race point the past few days.

I am looking for tuna and any general info would help. Anyone seen tuna inside the bay or toward the Plymouth side? The weather for the rest of the week is looking good for cape cod bay and I think I'll trailer there for a couple of days.

I have fished the area some in the past. But I am a bit limited in that I have an 18 foot boat. I have run from Plymouth to Race point in the past when the weather was good. (Usually, the ride home is bumpy.)

I had 2 fellows show their catch a little over 200lbs from trips last friday and thursday (both live lined Pogies). A commercial ground fish capt I know also says lots of sightings. I know these 2 fish were caught off of peaked hill bar, just south of Ptown and off of Turo area on outside of cape. They did not have to go all they way down to chatham. The commercial dragger Capt says sees school Blue fin from Ptown out. I have not heard of the inside bay area getting too hot yet but I think the early AM should be worth a shot in the coming weeks. If not able to get live pogies, jigging (butterfly system) seems good for 80 to 125 depths right now.

I fished the SWC on Sunday trolling squid bars with no luck. Saw giants pushing water and footballs jumping off our bow but no takers. Tried Peaked Hill in the afternoon without a hit. Also tried the jigging. Went inside the bar and got some real nice blues (20lb was the biggest) jigging wire. Had some great topside action with poppers too. Im going to try the pogies next time out for the bluefin. That seems to be the bait of choice right now.

On the way to the SWC, don't be afraid to stay in close, from a few hundreds yard off the beaches out to a mile or so. Look for the whales, in the area from the Gold Ball up to the Water Tower and north. I was there the other week on that boat we threw the new transom on. Live bait guys with pogies from kites were hooking up, whilst us troller/jiggers/spinners got no love.

Thanks for all the great info.

We decided to not to fish cape cod bay tomorrow (7/23) due to the predicted NE winds. I prefer a wind with a southerly component when going to CC Bay.

We are going to fish out of Newport instead. We had decent luck on bass today out of Newport although there was major swell. Flies and medium surface plugs were the ticket.

I did finally fish cape cod bay today (7/25).

We launched from Sandwich and spent the earlier part of the day around race point and the latter part of the day on fishing ledge.

We saw lots of whales and diving birds off race point (farther to the east) - but very few tuna. There were lots of blue fish.

On fishing ledge, there were schools of tuna but they were very spooky. The fish were on top and pushing water but not really feeding. The fish would stay just out of casting range as we tried to move up on them. They were also being chased by numerous harpoon boats.

Lots of the ingredients for tuna off race point and lots of tuna on fishing ledge, but no hook ups for us today.

one on monday off peaked hill.
58"
nekkid bally

one east of chatham
64"
nekkid bally

Attachments

• P7260197 (Medium).JPG
    P7260197 (Medium).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 83
  • P7240179 (Medium).JPG
    P7240179 (Medium).JPG