Anyone use 800 khz xducer on Side, Bottom or Structure scan?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey Jim

Reaction score
Trying to narrow down which pair of frequencies to get in a scanning transducer. This transducer is made by, and for Garmin.
I have 2 choices. A 455khz/800khz transducer, or a 260khz/455khz transducer. I'm leaning toward the 800khz unit, as I would like the sharpest imaging detail.

I would like feedback from those who use scanning sonar with 800khz CHIRP. This highest frequency is limited in depth, but I will be imaging wrecks in the 100 foot and shallower depth. Much in the 50-60' too.

If the 100 foot stuff is too deep for 800khz, I have the option to select 455khz, which should add quite a bit of depth, just not as clear an image as 800 khz.

Am hoping Kidfreediver and 1801steve will chime in, as a bit of a search showed couple of others who use scanning transducers.

Both transducers operate all 3 modes in CHIRP, (SideVu, BottomVu and Traditional FF.) The following are their ranges:

Traditional mode: 80-160 khz,

Scanning modes: 245-275 (260 khz), 425-485 (455 khz), 790-850 (800 khz)

I have 2 choices. Traditional mode (fish arches) are same on both models. One is 260/455 khz selectable, & other is 455/800 khz selectable.

I will probably never use the 260 khz selection, as this is for the very deepest. (1000' plus)

I could really use some feedback from those who operate this new CHIRP technology, in side & bottom scanning. Very much appreciated.

If the 100 foot stuff is too deep for 800khz, I have the option to select 455khz, which should add quite a bit of depth, just not as clear an image as 800 khz.

Everything I know about this is.... That these side scan's pretty much have a limit of about 100ft deep at the most. No I don't know what freq they wee using.

I suggest you call Garmin Tech support and talk to them as to what YOU actually want to do with it and your expectations.

They will advise.

Back