bent skeg on lower unit

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjp

Reaction score
can I straiten ou my skeg on my 250 hp 4 stroke yamaha. it has a pretty good bend in it.
any ideas

thanks
pjp

They hammer and dolly them to straighten them. Do not try and just bend it. It will crack for sure.

You should have posted a pix so we know how extreme it is bent.

If it's too bad, just go with the skegguard. I used one for years and had no issues with it.

I have not talked to the man personally but I have been told that some of the better prop shops will repair skegs. I actually watched a youtube video of a man making a repair. Looked like factory when he finished.

Good welders will snap/TIG them back off/on. A little grinding and some fairing, it looks like new.
:edit:
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVS6qfveLG4
Just ignore his advice on replacing the prop with stainless "It's strong"... yes, and you'll be replacing the lower unit's input shaft instead of the prop next time.

Depends how far off-line it is ... if the bottom of the skeg used to be at 6 o'clock and it is now at 5 or 7 ... personally I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but that's me. Note it could be causing some counter-steering, so be aware of that, and where your LU trailing fin is positioned.

sparky":2dqmq83x said:
Just ignore his advice on replacing the prop with stainless "It's strong"... yes, and you'll be replacing the lower unit's input shaft instead of the prop next time.

Same for the skeg. It's sacrificial.

My prop shop has hanging the wall what's left of a yamaha LU after a skeg guard strike that would have resulted in just a bent or sheared skeg sans the skeg guard. IMO while the skeg guard may be a quick and cosmetically pleasing repair that may even to some appear to be an "upgrade" to a factory intact skeg, keep in mind use of this product makes the LU the sacrificial component rather than the skeg.

FWIW my prop guy says the skinny water guides whose props he services/fixes all use a rigid plastic bolt on type skeg similar to the skeg guard but retains the skegs sacrificial design. I don't have any particular info on it other than what the prop shop guy mentioned.

You have my attention with that plastic skeg guard. Do you know of anyone that sells these plastic skeg guards ?

Back