BEP switch for twins.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fannin

Reaction score
Hopefully Warthog5 chimes in since he's the resident BEP expert. I have twin 04 Evinrude 150s that have auxiliary charging leads. From what I gather the aux provides 25 amps and the primary going to the start battery provides 25 amps and they aren't combined? I'm looking at adding the Bep 717-140A-DVSR for Twin Engine outboards and a Group 31 for the house. Currently its just two Group 24's and a 1,2 Both switch.

Should I run a wire from the aux output on the outboards to the stud F on the house switch? That would give the house 50amps from both the outboards until the VSR opened. Or is there a better setup to use instead of the 717?

When you go twins......You install 3 batteries total.....1 Start for each motor and 1 House.

I'd eliminate the aux charge wires off the motor.... The BEP Cluster will do all the work for you.

By the way.....I'm installing my 37th BEP cluster in a boat I have in the shop now.

warthog5":292u92a4 said:
When you go twins......You install 3 batteries total.....1 Start for each motor and 1 House.

I'd eliminate the aux charge wires off the motor.... The BEP Cluster will do all the work for you.

By the way.....I'm installing my 37th BEP cluster in a boat I have in the shop now.

But wouldn’t I lose 50 amps of charging? I’m not sure what the idle output is, I’m sure it’s not much but eventually I’m going to have and inverter and AC so I would like to use all available charging amperage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No....You will not.... Here's the thing.... The alt has a Max output.... Rarely does it run at that. It only outputs what the batteries need.... Now....I'm speaking about Good.....Full Charged Batteries to begin with. Obviously your not going to go run your boat with junk batteries, :)

That second lead is a divider. The Relay takes it's place and directs current to the Start Batteries as a priority. Once they hit their designated voltage the Relays slam shut and charge the House.....as well as maintain the Start Batteries.

Now.....I had one boat that I installed a BEP in.....It had twin Honda's and had the aux. leads..... I hooked the Port Aux to the STB. Start Battery and the STB Aux to the Port Start battery.

Here's my thinking. With that setup.....You can charge All onboard batteries with only 1 motor running.
And you may want to do that?

BEP Explained:

BEP Cluster Switch.

You start your day by turning the Start switch and the House switch to ON.
At the end of the day you turn them both OFF.

It doesn't get any simpler than that. You don't have to remember to turn from Batt 1 when going out and switch to Batt 2 on the way back in. Just something else that you have to remember.

OK so what goes on with it is done all automatically thru the VSR [Voltage Sensitive Relay]

The Relay is in a closed position. As soon as you hit the key to crank the motor the relay opens, due to sensing a large surge of current.

Ok the motor is cranked and running now. The relay is still open. The Alt is charging the Start battery until it reaches a set voltage and charge.

Then the relay closes and is back charging Both the Start & House Battery.

Now another feature that happened when you hit the key is your electronics were ON and wired from the House battery. This will stop any spiking of the Electronics. They don't like to be spiked!

OK...Now your out sitting on the beach. The motor is OFF, but you have the Radio playing for hours. The Relay senses the drop and opens the relay again. The radio is still playing, but the relay just disconnected the Start battery out of the circuit so that it stays at Full charge to start the motor.

When you get ready to leave the beach and crank the motor the alt will charge the Start battery first and when it's back up, the relay will close and charge the House battery.

There is one more switch on the Cluster. It is the Combine switch. Think of that as Jumper Cables without having to dig them out and hook them up. This switch would normally be in the OFF position, until you need a boost on the start battery. Then turn it to ON. After the motor is running turn it back OFF.

Everything is all Automatic. No thinking about it. Your batteries will have a much better charge in them.

I've got an '03 2520 with twin 150 HPDI's that I bought last year. Currently the boat has two cranking batteries and and two 1/2/Both/Off switches. I want to add a house battery as we've been having electrical issues with the electronics not getting what they need. Sounds like this BEP Cluster is what we need. Where can I buy the cluster. And how should my boat be wired? Thanks!

Lou

Go Online.....Seaarch....BEP Part # 717-140A-DVSR

Buy one.....Most of the instructions are with the unit.....There are a few things I do that are not there.

Rewire the 10ga wires with crimp shrink ends...Use new wire..don't cut the ends and try to replace.

No fuse or circuit breaker between switch and engines......40amp breaker between House switch and House load.

warthog5":iqaxl1ne said:
Go Online.....Seaarch....BEP Part # 717-140A-DVSR

Buy one.....Most of the instructions are with the unit.....There are a few things I do that are not there.

Rewire the 10ga wires with crimp shrink ends...Use new wire..don't cut the ends and try to replace.

No fuse or circuit breaker between switch and engines......40amp breaker between House switch and House load.

Thanks for the info!

Back