Best kicker for 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobia224

Reaction score
Need your advice Parker masters! I have a Parker 2520 xl with a 250 hp Yamaha. I have a 70 gallon bait tank and fish with about 4 people total. I'm told that a Yamaha 9.9 hp high thrust would be sufficient for my setup. I'm concern it may be not. I'm thinking a 20 hp would push us faster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I run a 15hp h.o. Etec pushes the heavy load with a four blade prop about 7 miles an hour wot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452080992.113791.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452080992.113791.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 665
The yamaha high thrusts were the best for many years, geared low and with a wide prop. I almost tryed the e tec because it is fuel injected but the tiller handle does not fold back past vertical and it would not work on my last kicker mount.

I would try to get it as long as possable because when its rough the prop can come out of the water. I usually use the xlong 30" lowers.

RumRunner":w207j708 said:
Kid free....when do you use the kicker?
I use it trolling. Feathers the speed better against wind and current. During the summer months I fish ever weekend. I bought the motor last January and I have 160 hours on it right now.

I would go with a 15hp I have a 9.9 0n my 2320 and it dose a good job but I only troll 3mph max. I would follow kidfrees advice he has one on the same size boat as yours

I would like to mention that the 15hp h.o. Was made to be a kicker motor to push heavy loads with the low end torque that you keep hearing about. Also it being a high output the top end is a 25hp more so to speak. It's a nice feature in case the big engine fails or u only need to run a short distance. I bought it with electric power trim and tilt and start. All the components are on the end of the tiller for easy to reach feathering. I tied the steering in to the big motor and I have ideas for that to if you don't have the same setup as mine. The oil reservoir is under the engine cowling. Also there is a +or - rpm toggle that will increase or decrease your speed up to 1/10mph with out you moving the throttle (which there's a set tightner for that). This is a great kicker.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452266356.260938.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452266356.260938.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 576
I am running the 2520 XLD up in the great lakes 300 hp and 9.9 yamaha......seems pretty solid for my use caught my self trolling into some 4-5 footers out in lake Michigan later last summer.....no issues at all.

Bout time":3naucwkt said:
I am running the 2520 XLD up in the great lakes 300 hp and 9.9 yamaha......seems pretty solid for my use caught my self trolling into some 4-5 footers out in lake Michigan later last summer.....no issues at all.

What is the fastest long duration troll speed you can get with the Yamaha 9.9 kicker? Is it highl thrust?

I cant speak for every boat but generally kickers will only do dispalcment speed of that vessel. On my 21-25' boats its usually 6-7mph tops. Very often people think a larger kicker of 15-29hp will get them more speed but it does not. Boats hit a "wall" where it takes much more hp to gain any more speed.

A high thrust 9,9 will push a boat at trolling speeds of 3-4mph with pretty low rpm's To get 6mph you usually have to rev them up pretty high.

On any kicker thread I tell people to consider a garmin tr1 gold kicker autopilot if they are trolling with it a lot. They cost $2300. but it is the ultimate kicker set up. Worth every penny to me.

Never actually tried to see what the fastest troll was that we could run, however we've trolled for hours 4-6 any place from 2.5 up to 3.2 mph with out issue .....

Jim

fisheron":1m04aljs said:
I cant speak for every boat but generally kickers will only do dispalcment speed of that vessel. On my 21-25' boats its usually 6-7mph tops. Very often people think a larger kicker of 15-29hp will get them more speed but it does not. Boats hit a "wall" where it takes much more hp to gain any more speed.

A high thrust 9,9 will push a boat at trolling speeds of 3-4mph with pretty low rpm's To get 6mph you usually have to rev them up pretty high.

On any kicker thread I tell people to consider a garmin tr1 gold kicker autopilot if they are trolling with it a lot. They cost $2300. but it is the ultimate kicker set up. Worth every penny to me.

Displacement hull speed is calculated at (1.3 x square root of the waterline length). So on our Parkers, hull speed is approximately 6 kts.

Hull speed is the max speed a boat will travel through the water at displacement speed. Note that I said THROUGH the water. Most sailboats or large power boats have a hull form which cannot exceed hull speed. It requires relatively little horsepower to move a boat at hull speed. However, a planning hull form, like a Parker, can travel much, much faster if enough power is applied.

But speed comes at a cost. For example, my trawler cruises at a 7kts., burning about 1.5 gph. My Parker goes four times as fast but burns almost ten times the fuel.

The takeaway in all this is that it doesn't take much power to move a Parker at 6 kts., but it takes a bunch of power to go beyond that "wall".

Yamaha 9.9 has been perfect for salmon trolling on my 2520 XLD. Lots of folks getting away from the TR-1's and tying to the main, with rear helm steering and throttle controls, and Garmin autopilot on the main. TR-1 works great when it works. All that movement can lead to break down's with the unit and linkage, however.

Back