BIGGER trim tab question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSkiff2001

Reaction score
Though the hours of research I have done in the last 6 months regarding Parker's, one thing that seems pretty important, for more then one reason, is installing bigger trim tabs. My question is, could I just buy a replacement 12x24 and keep the same actuators and everything else? Or do they have stronger actuators as the tabs get bigger? I'm trying not to spend the $800 on the whole setup if I don't need to.

If you are handy with tools......decide how much larger you want. Googe ss suppliers , pick the thickness you want and size, buy cut to size. Figure in about 2.5 in. overlap or full lap ( you can put under actuator using longer mounting bolts ) Use hammer and back up to shape the edges typical of, drill the holes bolt them on to existing on the top or the bottom. Add zincs. ( this works with length ) if you want width, you can add new size to the existing tab, but you might have to re center the actuator. All this will save the hinge and remounting to the hull not menchin (sp) the cost of new.

To answer your question...The actuators are the same..... What size is on it now?

Now think about this....The actuator aligns on the centerline of the tab. So if a set of 12in. tabs are on it now. The actuators holes will have to be filled and redrilled when a set of 24in wide units are mounted. Bennett calls for 3in inboard of the chine. But you can get away with 2in inboard.

Right now the stock 12x12s are on it. I'm looking to put 12x24s on. Thanks for the info! It'll save me a nice chunk of change just changing the tab itself.

I am intrigued by this post. Does this mean that the tab will simply be "longer" , not wider? So in effect, you would not have do so any structural work? It's just a matter of taking off the old tab, drilling holes for the ram and putting the hinge side back on the transom. Is it really this easy?

Freespool":1ts6fve8 said:
I am intrigued by this post. Does this mean that the tab will simply be "longer" , not wider? So in effect, you would not have do so any structural work? It's just a matter of taking off the old tab, drilling holes for the ram and putting the hinge side back on the transom. Is it really this easy?

Not quite that easy... but still pretty easy.
My tabs are 24" wide, by 9" long.
Wider is better.

My boat previously wore a set of 12x12 tabs, which were were woefully inadequate for a 25'x9.5' boat.

You will probably have to remove the old, and install the new... drilling new holes and filling the old.
Search our 'Projects' section for details and step-by-step instructions.

You... and your boat, will thank you after you upgrade.

Back