black patches on non skid roof and gunwale?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

school skipper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out whats going on with my new to me 2006 2320 sl.. I seem to have patches of blackish spots on my gunwale and roof of cabin. This condition only appears on the non skid surfaces and becomes more pronounced on wet cloudy rainy days but seems to lighten up considerably under the bright sun light.. On the roof, if I rub it with my hands when its wet, it appears to smudge and loosen.. this boat was stored about 90% of the time inside an enclosed car port type shelter. Could this be some type of under the surface mold problem? Tried a little bar keepers helper on a spot but didn't seem to help!
Anybody ever seen or dealt with this before?
Thanks,
School Skipper

Attachments

• IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 379
It might be mold or a cousin, the mildew group. M,2cw. Mix a little boat soap, a half cup.of bleach and 4 ,gallons of hot water in 5 gallon bucket. Apply with a sponge, scrub gently and keep area wet for 30 minutes and keep allowing fresh mix. let dry until.bone dry in the sun. Repeat if needed

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Brent for the advice on how to proceed..
Will give that a try and let your know how it goes.. Like I said, when the sun is shinning bright, it almost unnoticeable but as soon as the weather turns damp and rainy, it appears all over the place!

Home Depot sells a gallon of mold and mildew cleaner, about $8
Pour some on the deck, scrub it n, let it sit for 2 minutes, then hose it off.
Done.

Bleach is your friend.

Mix it into your wash water, scrub, and rinse lightly.
Any bleach remaining on the deck will work with the sun to turn everything white again.

I sometimes get mold under my washboards during the rainy season.
I put 50% water and 50% bleach in a utility spray bottle and spray away.
No need to rinse, just spray and go.

Fastest and easiest way to clean this mildew: Buy a couple of spray bottles of Mold-Away. Spray it on, wait 5 mins, rinse, it's gone. it will also prevent recurrence for a while. The spray tops on the bottles that the Mold-Away come in break half way through the bottle so get a heavy-duty spray bottle too. Wear work clothes, the cleaner will bleach'em out.

It's mold... Same issue here. I use Tylex mold & mildew spray the woody wax after. Good for a month

Thanks for all the feed back on this boys... I ended up hitting it with the pressure washer and it cleaned it right up bright and white!.. Going to keep an eye on it and redo if need be and then proceed with the bleach/H2O method there after...
Thanks! going to finally be getting around to renaming to the"Danny Boy"... Anyone have any luck with the vinyl off product for helping to remove old vinyl lettering?
Thanks,
School Skipper
First fish on new boat, a 23 pounder landed by Daniel my little 10 year old Parker guy

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 213
Nice fish ! 8)

For removing vinyl, I use a heat gun and patience. :wink:
Any residue left behind is removed with Goo-Gone, then an application of wax.

I like Megabyte use heat also. I don't have a heat gun but a good hair dryer works great (make sure the wife isn't aorund :shock: ) Anyway, between a hair dryer and a small Squeegee I have never had a problem and then I do a quick rub down with goo-b-gone, then wash off with soap. Oh yea, as MB said......patience too is helpful. Good luck

Thanks Guys.. That's exactly what I've been doing.. two letters at a time!... Not a fast process by any means so yes I get the patience part! How careful should I be with heat on gel-coat ??

school skipper":16bx3vqy said:
Thanks Guys.. That's exactly what I've been doing.. two letters at a time!... Not a fast process by any means so yes I get the patience part! How careful should I be with heat on gel-coat ??

Since I use a heat gun, it is a little too easy to put too much heat on your work.
What I do is to heat the area while keeping my fingers on my work.
You want the work area to be hot, but not hot enough to burn your fingers.
It's a fine line... :shock:

The gelcoat is pretty durable, and you do want to get some heat into it.
What you don't want to do is to get so much heat on the vinyl that you melt it.

Heat the area, then use a finger nail to lift up an edge.
Ease the heat in and continue to lift the vinyl while using your fingers as a guide to the amount of heat being applied.
It won't take long for you to get the 'feel' for it. :wink:

Back