Boat name ...... I need to pick one. Help!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
With this winter's projects wrapping up, I am getting ready for her to make her 2011 debut. But before I do, I want to have her properly named. I don't take this lightly (though certainly not too seriously either) and I want it to be something fitting.

Being that I am relatively new to the marine world, I have a few ideas but want to throw them out there to make sure I am not going to be sharing names with anyone here or just as importantly, sharing it with every third boat I see out on the water. I don't want anything painfully common.

My initial choice was "Good Will Fishing" (Being a play on Good Will Hunting and with Will being my name and my sons) - however, the logistics of it are tough as getting this printed off decal (utilizing the guy here who does the Parker design lettering) would leave me with a very large surface area that quite frankly my boat doesn't have (21' WA). If I put it on one line - it would be short in height and long in length (and tough to read). Two lines would be a likely spacing issue.

My next choice is "Knot-A-Bite". Given my typically uneventful fishing trips (and to the constant mockery of my wife) - this would be VERY fitting. However, I wonder if it is fairly common.

"E-FISH-NT". Not really a favorite but I thought it was clever. Would be fitting being a "smaller" boat. Not excited about it but think it would be unique.

A friend suggested "Sarah Jessica". When I asked "why" dreading the answer .... he said "Cause she's a Parker". Dumb but I have to admit that I laughed a little bit.

"Three Hour Tour" - self explanatory and you can't name her the SS Minnow.

“Baiter Up” – Kind of like this one. Plays on the whole baseball thing (I played "semi-pro" ... more so high end amatuer). And doubles as bait her up as in getting the rigs ready. Also “Baited Up”.

“Bait-N-Switch” – like it but it doesn’t apply. IE – no real story there.

Anything jump out as a good choice? I am having a hard time making up my mind here so I am using you all as my sound board. Open to other ideas as well. Would LOVE to tie it to the family (wife, 3 yo son, 3 mos daughter).

Thanks in advance.

Think about how your boat name will sound on the radio when you're communicating with a marina or asking the Coast Guard or a towing service for help.

Good point. I am not a big fan (for me personally) of the play on words with vulgar double meanings. Don't get me wrong - I laugh just like anyone - but I have two little-uns to consider. I don't think any of the ones listed would be inappropriate.

what are the 2 little ones names. maybe a name idea between them?

The proper name for a boat comes from the names of our women, wives, daughters, etc.

El Mar is a combo of my daughters names.

Bryan 2530":1q9iowpz said:
The proper name for boat comes from the names of our women, wives, daughters, etc.

El Mar is a combo of my daughters names.

True!! Every time I look at the name of my boat I think of my grown daughter (who I named it after & is my best fishing partner to this day) & remember her telling her older brother, "Nunya business" when he bugged her & asked her personal questions!!! :lol:

jeffnick":2daycu6k said:
Think about how your boat name will sound on the radio when you're communicating with a marina or asking the Coast Guard or a towing service for help.

Very, very true.

Added another to the list and it fits with what you all are saying. My daughters name is Corinne Ray - she's 2.5 months old and is named after my great grandma and my wives granddad. Her nickname (issued by my father) is "Rinnie Ray" I think it would be fitting except I might have one upset little boy who loves daddy's boat (3 year old who's my fishing buddy). I think I can handle that though. I will have to think about it for a day or two.

I wouldn't worry too much about the son.
Just explain to him that boats are almost always referred to as "she". :wink:
My bet is that he will be fine with it, and the girls in your family will give you many style points. 8)

My boat name is not female, but if it were, she would be named Concetta Rose after my late mom.

I Like Corinne Ray and I think it would be clearer over the radio, Rinnie Ray over the radio may be confusing.
I named my boat after my daughter Jennifer Anne (my first born) my son is find with it as long as he can use the boat.

Grandad of three grandsons ranging from 2 1/2 to 10 months, they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Good luck

You have to be a Dead Head: Althea, Bertha, Rosa Lee, Annie, Dehlila, and of course Donna Jean

Corrine Ray is nice....

Alternatives to get you thinking.....

C-Ray
Sea Ray
Willy Ray
or, if your kids are like mine....
Devil Ray

Since your boat isn't USCG Registered, it really doesn't matter what the name "sounds like" when being broadcast over the VHF since this name is meaningless to the USCG. For commercial boats and boats that are registered, this name has a true meaning and is referenced to a database containing the boat owners name, address and hailing port.

The last couple of my boats didn't have a name imprinted on them, but whenever I entered my grandsons in a tournament we were always asked for the name. My youngest g-son, Blaik would always step up to offer our own name, 'QUIT WHININ' ". It works for me. Good luck, Hannabel, Papa

Decided on "Rinny Ray" after my newborn daughters nickname. Sizing seems to fit well and I like the overall look of it. Worked with Tom to get the file put together and it's currently being cut as we speak. Should have it by Monday. Hopefully I will get the boat back shortly there-after.

Back