Bottom Paint On Parker 2310

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweendeck

Reaction score
I have a Parker 2310 and I have decided to keep it in the water at a slip. I live in southern California (San Diego) and of course it will be sitting in salt water. I was going to have the bottom painted with anti-fouling paint. It has an Armstrong aluminum bracket on the back with a Yamaha 250 mounted to it. My question is this. Is it bad to paint the bottom of your boat? I read ads for boats that are for sale and some of them read NO bottom paint. Does anti-fouling paint lower the value or your boat? I feel I will use my boat much, much more if it is sitting in the water ready to go. (No loading or unloading at the boat ramp). I have kept the boat in the water before for only 3 days and within that time a green stain appeared on the bottom of the boat when I pulled it from the water onto my trailer. Any information on this subject would be of great help to me. Also any advice on adding extra zincs. I have zincs on my trim tabs, Armstrong bracket and outboard motor . Thank You, Tweendeck.

Most boats are bottom painted, it may decrease the value a little, but it also may not matter at all. When I bought my 2320 it was lift kept no bottom paint, I looked at this as an added expense and hassle after buying the boat because I keep it in the water from May-November so the bottom needed to be prepped and painted which was a PITA.

Also make sure you dont use bottom paint on your outboard bracket, I use trilux 33. For the bottom paint I highly recommend the Pettit hydrocoat easy to work with and does not build up on the bottom year after year like most of the other bottom paints out there.
http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=11

The Zincs you got sound good as long as you have them on the Armstrong bracket, tabs, and motor bracket that covers it.

Attachments

• trilux.jpg
    trilux.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 521
Tweendeck":px2zs6g8 said:
I have zincs on my trim tabs, Armstrong bracket and outboard motor.
Make sure that the areas under the zincs are NOT painted! They must be in full contact with the parent material. I even go as far as taking the zinc halves and sanding them on emery cloth against a hardwood, so as to ensure full contact. Solvent wash it with acetone after sanding ...

Yea Dale makes a good point. I put blue painters tape down then put the zincs on and using a razor knife trace around the zincs, I then remove the zincs and paint the tabs, then remove the tape and it leaves a perfect bare area, then re install the zincs.

Value? Perhaps but the benefit of keeping it in the slip and using it more frequently because of ease is well worth it. I keep my 2310 in a slip in Mission Bay and wouldn't have it any other way. Have it cleaned regularly and a good cleaner will watch/change the zincs for you. Driscolls in Mission bay painted both of mine and do a nice job.

Another tip, that green scum line you noticed after 3 days in the water is the perfect indicator to set your painted waterline. set your tape an inch or two above that line.

NGSD1":3l5ub3i9 said:
Value? Perhaps but the benefit of keeping it in the slip and using it more frequently because of ease is well worth it.

I totally agree.
My previous boat was trailered, and when I bought my 2520 it was also on a trailer. Both had clean bottoms.
Now that the bottom is painted and the boat wet slipped, I use it a lot more.

Prepping the boat for bottom paint involved a lot of sanding and cleaning with an acetone wash, but proper prep will eliminate problems down the road.
In my case, the initial prep, done by my marina, was not done properly and the paint did not stick well.

We had the Interlux distributor come to the marina and evaluate the bottom...
His recommendation was to remove the bottom, prep it correctly, apply an epoxy barrier coat which doubled as a paint 'primer'.
Next, a coat of ablative paint was applied in "Grady blue", then a top coat of black.

All of this had to be closely coordinated, as the first coat of bottom paint needed to go over the barrier coat in about 12 hours, if I remember correctly.
These days, when I can start to see the blue peeking through the bottom, I know that it is due for another coat of black.

Ever since getting the bottom on her correctly, I have had absolutely no issues.

If an outboard, you don't need to put anything on it.
Just raise it when it's in the slip.

What Kevin said.
I touch mine up every year with the Yamaha paint, other then that nothing more needed.

Back