Bottom Paint, Verses Trailering, Resale Value

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
Hello
I am new to your site but would like to ask for opinions. I am considering bottom painting a new 2520xl to see if I like keepng it in the water during the warm season and on a trailer during the winter. I am concerned that if I move up in boat size later on and have to sell will the bottom paint affect my trade, or the new buyers opinion on the boat. How many of you have bottom paint verses trailering and was your boat painted when you bought it. I just know that if I paint it there is no going back. I have heard the used market doesnt like bottom painted boats.

Thanks
Bruceter

My boat was on a trailer and was not bottom painted when I bought it.
It was however, filthy dirty from sitting under a tree in a dusty boat storage yard for several years.

Image-B6832C8D185C11D8.jpg

There was no way my Jeep Cherokee could tow a 2520 MVSC and I couldn't afford a truck payment plus a boat payment...
So I sold the trailer, bottom painted the boat, and she has been in a wet slip now for 5 seasons.

Image-DB840A65C5C611DA.jpg

Everyones preferences are different.

Being that it is a 25'er, I dont think painting the bottom will hurt resale value. Personally, I want my bottoms painted. This gives the option of leaving in the water a while. It costs a lot of money or is a lot of work to have the bottom prepped properly and painted the first time. I would see the bottom paint as a plus on a boat of that size. If you were getting a 21'er, then it may affect the resale more.

I have a 2520 and it was bottom painted when I bought it.
I trailer the boat and wish it wasn't bottom painted.
I think they look much better without the bottom paint.
I have a small bead blaster and I soda blasted the sides where the bottom paint was. And the transom, and the boat looks much better.
But that is just my preference. Everyone is different.

I'd say go for what you want to do. Resale value will be in the crapper anyway.

When I bought my boat I wasn't sure whether I should keep it in the water or the yard.... I opted to keep it on the trailer without bottom paint and after the first season realized I would not be satisfied with it in the water.... in my case I'm glad I didn't get it bottom painted.

I bottom painted me 2820 and opted to leave it in the water all summer and probably trailer it in the winter. My harbor is so shallow and warm everything grows real fast if I'm not using it all the time. I would not have been dettered from buying a boat that has bottom paint. It gives you versatility.
As far as the look I think it looks cool, like a real fishing boat.

Out of choice, I trailer my boats, and resale value is one of my considerations. Keeping a boat in the water can age it faster than keeping it on a trailer. When I am not using my boat, it is on a trailer, under a full cover.

I think you need to decide if you intend to trailer the boat or keep it in the water. If you are going to keep the boat in the water for extended periods of time, you need to bottom paint it. Another consideration is you may be required to get a permit and be limited to certain hours within which to trailer a 2520XL because of the beam width.

How long can you leave a boat in the water without bottom paint before crud starts to build up...say mid-Bay of the Chesapeake?

I'm on a trailer with no bottom paint. I've left mine in the water for up to a 5-day trip to the CBBT in Jun and again in Dec and had no growth/crud. How long before I start pushing my luck?

Dave

aka

Back