Bottom Paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zbrown919

Reaction score
Virtually everyone I’ve talked to who knows anything about boats say that bottom paint hurts the value of your boat.

I have a newer Parker which I refuse to paint and am dry storing partly for that reason. What is it about bottom paint that hurts the value? As we decide whether to invest in a wet slip I want to fully understand the impact if we have to paint it.

Here is what I’ve gathered just from reading online:

-Bottom paint can slow down the boat
-Bottom paint requires more maintenance
-Bottom paint implies it was stored in the water

What Feedback can y’all give me on this topic? It makes me cringe to think of painting a brand new hull.

P.S. my 08 1801 won’t sell and I’m wondering if the bottom paint is part of the issue or if it’s just the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do store my 2019 2520XLD in a wet slip and my bottom is painted. My top speed with Twin 200s was 52 mph before the bottom paint and it still is after the bottom paint. I tried trailering my boat for the first six months I owned it. I hated dealing with the boat ramp and the traffic. I bought a slip and the rest is history. I am able to use the boat more now also.

Worrying about how the next owner will value your boat is akin to not sleeping with your wife so the $ex is better for her next husband.

In either case, use it the way you want to and don’t worry about the next guy.

"Worrying about how the next owner will value your boat is akin to not sleeping with your wife so the $ex is better for her next husband. "

I love your analogy....

I use to have a boat that was not convenient to trailer around (27' x 9'beam). I tried for a while but noticed it was a hassle and I didn't look forward to the process, it really took the enjoyment out of it. I eventually painted the bottom, wet slipped it, and used it 3 or 4 times more often. Prior to the paint I wouldn't even think of coming home from work and hooking it up for an evening of fishing. After paint, I went out 2 or 3 nights a week. Bottom line is YOU need to enjoy your boat as often as possible. I currently have a 2320 that is not wet slipped and between my wife's health issues since 2016 and my neck surgery last summer, it rarely sees the water. If it were in the water I would definitely use it more.

As for your 1801, it's a smaller boat and maybe a lot less of them painted than larger boats. I can assure though, that 1801 will sell if priced properly. They are great boats and sought after.

M2cw, best of luck

Antidote":jkziy5a0 said:
I do store my 2019 2520XLD in a wet slip and my bottom is painted. My top speed with Twin 200s was 52 mph before the bottom paint and it still is after the bottom paint. I tried trailering my boat for the first six months I owned it. I hated dealing with the boat ramp and the traffic. I bought a slip and the rest is history. I am able to use the boat more now also.

Worrying about how the next owner will value your boat is akin to not sleeping with your wife so the $ex is better for her next husband.

In either case, use it the way you want to and don’t worry about the next guy.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] thanks!

MadGar":3r0jofdr said:
"Worrying about how the next owner will value your boat is akin to not sleeping with your wife so the $ex is better for her next husband. "

I love your analogy....

I use to have a boat that was not convenient to trailer around (27' x 9'beam). I tried for a while but noticed it was a hassle and I didn't look forward to the process, it really took the enjoyment out of it. I eventually painted the bottom, wet slipped it, and used it 3 or 4 times more often. Prior to the paint I wouldn't even think of coming home from work and hooking it up for an evening of fishing. After paint, I went out 2 or 3 nights a week. Bottom line is YOU need to enjoy your boat as often as possible. I currently have a 2320 that is not wet slipped and between my wife's health issues since 2016 and my neck surgery last summer, it rarely sees the water. If it were in the water I would definitely use it more.

As for your 1801, it's a smaller boat and maybe a lot less of them painted than larger boats. I can assure though, that 1801 will sell if priced properly. They are great boats and sought after.

M2cw, best of luck
thanks!

I should have clarified. Mine is dry stored but I can get it in the water with a text message. I definitely use this one more than I ever used my 1801 which was trailered.

I appreciate the feedback!

Zbrown919":3864npoq said:
MadGar":3864npoq said:

I love your analogy....

M2cw, best of luck
thanks!

I should have clarified. Mine is dry stored but I can get it in the water with a text message. I definitely use this one more than I ever used my 1801 which was trailered.

I appreciate the feedback!

Well, if you can drop it in that easily then I would probably agree to keep it unpainted, it's just another cost and maintenance that you wouldn't need.

I have another analogy. I now own a 1989 Mercedes 560 SL. She has 97000 miles on her. My dad was the original owner. It was given to me when he passed away last year.

He used how he wanted to. He kept his gold clubs in the trunk except when he had to take the trash and recycling to the transfer center. There are dents in the trunk lid from the inside. There are some “polished” spots on the fenders. There are some horrible attempts at touch paint from the dings from mom’s and other car doors. It still has both the original hard and soft tops. To me she is beautiful.

The imperfections make her a one off car. When I drive it none of imperfections matter. I can’t see any of them anyway. I just remember sitting in the other seat going to play golf with dad.

I have learned to work hard for the things I truly enjoy. And make sure I enjoy them with those I love. Isn’t that what really matters?

Parkers are not racing boats looking to shave seconds off their lap times nor do most of us run them wide open throttle trimmed out to get every last ounce of speed. I don't think many of us would say "wow your painted boat is so much slower and inefficient then the unpainted one i am going to offer you $500 -$1,000 less on resale" The difference, if any, in our style/use would not make it noticeable in my opinion.

We had ours soda blasted and barrier coated four years ago-put on a black indicator coat and 2 coats of blue. We lightly scrub it down with a deck brush when we are hanging at the sand bar, do not power wash it at the end of the season-only scrub it with a scotch brite pad, then before we put it in touch up any spots that we see wearing through. Have not even gone through one gallon of bottom paint in 4 years.

My dad likes to take the boat out of the water as it starts getting colder-I like the stripe bass and black fishing up to Christmas. Always told him if we wanted something on land we would get something with wheels like an RV instead of something that is supposed to be floating.

If putting bottom paint on your boat means you will use it more do it. If what you are doing suits you, stick with it. Don't worry about what the next guy may think-you cant control that any way. Enjoy your boat and use it the way you want while you have it.

-Bottom paint can slow down the boat
-Bottom paint requires more maintenance
-Bottom paint implies it was stored in the water

I will add that it's not as clean looking as a gellcoated bottom.

But here is the #1 reason for me.......What are they hiding?

A Lot of boats get bottom paint to hide damage....especially after a hurricane.

There are multi types of bottom paint....Hard and abblitave. Abblitave is always coming off. Lean on the side of one and you will see what I mean.

Bottom paint usually means it has set in the water most of it's life....With that comes a extra hard life from the elements.

But it is a necessary evil if your boat sits in the water.

I'm currently in the market for another boat and I definitely prefer to find boats with bottoms unpainted because it usually means boat was never stored in the water. Those boats are usually in better condition and more taken care of. I've looked at a couple boats with bottom paint, stored in water and most people just dont do a good cleaning job after a long day of fishing, especially if it was used in salt water.

I agree with others saying use it the way you want... but personally, if I wasn't planning on storing it I'm the water, I wouldn't paint it. Looks much cleaner without bottom paint.

Just my 2-cents. I have bottom painted all of my boats. (40+ years). My 2520 XLD is stored on a lift at my house. It is on the lift most of the time when not in use, except being on a trailer during hurricanes. I had the bottom painted because I knew it would take 2-3 months to get the boat lift built when I bought the boat (without a trailer) in 2017. I had to keep the boat in the water for 2+ months while I had the lift built. Plus, when I take the boat on trips for 5-10 days, in that time barnacles could form and hurt the bottom. The bottom paint does not hurt the performance. My 2520 XLD gets as good or better performance than what I see posted here on ClassicParker. (2014 300 Yamaha).... (I have 50+ videos on Youtube where many of those verify the performance....

Back