bottom paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pain Management

Reaction score
I tried to do a search on the subject here and didn't get what I was looking for. My question is do I need to repaint the bottom if it looks intact. I used ablative paint last year and it still looks great but I hear it loses its chemical compound when stored for the winter out of water. Anyone have an answer for me. I searched on-line under "bottom painting" and got conflicting reports.
Thanks

I have used Interlux ablative paint on my boat in the past, and my bottom is being replaced this year after 6 seasons. Everything was sanded off and we're starting fresh.

I'm having 4 coats of barrier coat applied, then a coat of red, blue, or some other bright color of Interlux bottom coat applied as the first coat. After that, a final coat of black paint will be applied and I'll be good.

Down the road, when the color under the black starts to show through, I'll know where the paint is thin and needs to be re-applied.

That's my plan!

Pettit Hydrocoat is on sale all over right now, it has a $20.00 mail in rebate per gallon. I have used it before and alway's get 2 years out of it with no trouble.

Pain Management

Dont quote me, this is what I was told by our local West Marine store manager. He told me Pettit was what their store brand is this year at a much lower price. Pettit is their store brand supplier for their upper end paint. Last year it was Interlux. Please do your own homework first!
Although I prefer the Interlux Micron Extra or Csc, it depends on the water (Salt, Fresh, Brackish) where you wet slip your boat and what type of paint is on it now.
Talk to the people who do it in your area they should know best.

Catfish

Catfish, I don't understand your point but all I am saying is the bottom line is, it was reasonably priced and lasts at least 2 year, can't ask for anymore than that for the price.

ppem45

I am truly sorry I got the name wrong on my reply. (It is a sign of age.) I have since corrected it. I hope you will understand and accept it.

Catfish

Thank you all for the advice. I did use West Marine brand paint and it held up really well. I think I'm going to just put another coat on to avoid any problems.
George

Megabyte":1hu11jbd said:
Down the road, when the color under the black starts to show through, I'll know where the paint is thin and needs to be re-applied.
Now that's the way to paint your bottom! I've been doing it that way for 20+ years ;) !

DaleH":2ahoas7g said:
Megabyte":2ahoas7g said:
Now that's the way to paint your bottom! I've been doing it that way for 20+ years ;) !

Back when the yard put the original bottom on my boat, I asked them to do it that way, but they "forgot". :evil:
It has always annoyed me that I couldn't tell where I really stood with my paint, but that is being fixed now. :wink:

Back