Bottom Painting Feedback

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windknotnc

Reaction score
Ok, my 23DVCC has a couple coats of bottom paint and is in need of a recoating or something else. I have talked with Alex Nitt in Morehead City at Carolina Soda Blast. They use a Farrow System to remove bottom paint. Since I keep the boat on a trailer under shelter I really don't need bottom paint but that ship has sailed. He has recommended Interlux VC Performance Epoxy on the bottom. I have read good things about this paint but it only comes in white. Does anyone have this on their bottom? Can you post a picture of the look of the boat with cream topside and white bottom. I cannot envision this. Their rate is $30/ft to remove and $40/ft to apply 5 coats of VC. Looks like around $1600 to do the boat. How does this price sound? Any other recommendations appreciated.

That's a good price for removal but you shouldn't need to strip that bottom with only a "couple of coats" of bottom paint on it. The VC paint is a nice hard finish but not very good anti-fouling. If you want real white (or any other color) bottom paint I would recommend Petit Vivid white. It's a pretty hard paint as well. You can also mix the pallet of Vivid color choices for any variation. I think the off-white VC will look shabby next to you gelcoat. better to go with a whiter white or a contrasting color, IMHO...

If you are trailering, and replacing a formerly painted bottom, soda blasting and repainting with a hard bottom (versus an ablative) is probably your best bet.
Color choice is up to you.

The Interlux VC Epoxy only comes in white. What other hard finish bottom paint would you recommend? How do you think a white bottom would look on the cream colored hull?

The only white bottom that I have seen was an ablative one.
The 5" or so at the water line that was exposed to water and air turned green (from the copper).
It wasn't pretty.

you can always do the bottom in the vc and paint the water line with a color paint i have seen this on big sport fish boats colored bottom and black water line and transom up to u

The Interlux VC Epoxy only comes in white. What other hard finish bottom paint would you recommend? How do you think a white bottom would look on the cream colored hull?

PETIT VIVID is a hard bottom paint recommended for trailered boats. You can mix different colors of this paint to match your gelcoat perfectly. Buy a gallon of white and add a bit from a quart of yellow and you're good to go.

Back