Buy a Parker not a Grady

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miky2884

Reaction score
Was coming in from fishing last night and went by this grady at the marine next to mine. I was with my cousin Bryan and we both know that the boat was not sunk when we where on our way out we where only out for maybe 2 hours or so. Pretty sad sight to see, don't know what made it go down maybe a through hull fitting or something, we made a call to the marina owner but didn't hang around to see how they got it out. Someone got a terrible phone call last night.

Attachments

• sunk grady.JPG
    sunk grady.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 789
  • sunk grady 2.JPG
    sunk grady 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 789
  • sunk grady 3.JPG
    sunk grady 3.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 789
I have discovered two sinkings in my marina that were unknown to the marina a owner at the time.
He says I'm bad luck. I told him I'm just more observant than most people. :)

The first one was a ~24' Robalo CC that apparently broke a live well feed line.
Yep... the seacock was left open.

The second one was a sailboat directly across from my slip.
I was working on my boat one day and had to run home (~1 mile away) to get supplies.
The boat was fine when I left, but was on the bottom when I got back.

Never heard the cause for the sailboat, but I suspect it also broke a water line of some sort.

I always tell people... if it has a seacock, and you aren't using it (wash down, live well, whatever), CLOSE it when not in use.
When they start filling with water, they go down fast if no one is there to notice.

That is why I have a high water alarm on my boat. At least it gives me a fighting chance if people are around.

should a 24 footer sink even with the seacocks open. I thought they had positive flotation?

the grady in the post is floating but flipped. Our other boat is a 22 whaler outrage and it has level flotation built in. I saw a demo where swamped it would not flip.

talbot guy":3lb837zy said:

should a 24 footer sink even with the seacocks open. I thought they had positive flotation?

the grady in the post is floating but flipped. Our other boat is a 22 whaler outrage and it has level flotation built in. I saw a demo where swamped it would not flip.

Estimating the size of the Robalo, but when I discovered it, it had turned turtle and was "floating" upside down and hanging on her lines (bow high).
Whatever you want to call it, she was sunk by my eyes.

The sailboat, on the other hand, was sitting on the bottom.

I have seen a couple of boats over the years "go down" at the dock just from being caught under a piling bolt or the dock itself, or a dock line got tangled at rising tide. tipped the boat and filled with water and sunk at the dock.

Was coming in from fishing last night and went by this grady at the marine next to mine. I was with my cousin Bryan and we both know that the boat was not sunk when we where on our way out we where only out for maybe 2 hours or so. Pretty sad sight to see, don't know what made it go down maybe a through hull fitting or something, we made a call to the marina owner but didn't hang around to see how they got it out. Someone got a terrible phone call last nig

Was it vandals or dead beats?

Thru-hull is very likely. That's an older boat and I can see the thru-hulls are plastic. If they are original, they are long overdue for replacement.

Probably more the fault of a careless owner than anything else. I still feel for the guy though... :(

Having owned 2 GWs in the past, the "Buy a Parker not a Grady" subject did sort of strike a nerve. I will say that I think Parker is a better built boat, but I am also willing to bet an old Parker would have suffered the same fate here. It's not the boat's fault. :)

Brian is right. It's not the boats fault.

However, I don't think I would buy that particular Grady unless it was free, or nearly free.
For a boat sunk in saltwater, nothing is worth saving except for the bare hull.
If you want to rebuild it right, that is. :wink:

gw204":2ix1dbq8 said:
Thru-hull is very likely. That's an older boat and I can see the thru-hulls are plastic. If they are original, they are long overdue for replacement.

Probably more the fault of a careless owner than anything else. I still feel for the guy though... :(

Having owned 2 GWs in the past, the "Buy a Parker not a Grady" subject did sort of strike a nerve. I will say that I think Parker is a better built boat, but I am also willing to bet an old Parker would have suffered the same fate here. It's not the boat's fault. :)

I didnt mean for it to sound as if I was bashing Gradys. Im sorry if it came off that way. I agree 100% that it could happen to any boat, I still haven't herd that actual cause of it.
Bottom line is terrible thing to happen to anyone.

Back