Buy New Yamaha 4 Cyl 4 Stroke 200 or Keep 1995 2 Stroke 200

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobplt

Reaction score
I've had my 1995 2300 DVCC with a 1995 200 Yamaha straight carbureted 2 stroke for only a few months now. She runs great, but I do pamper her with good gas, oil, and Ring Free, which is a little expensive. Most every one I talk to is telling me keep that old engine. She is bullet proof, and rebuild her when the time comes if you need to. I have however entertained the thought of re-powering with the brand new Yamaha 200 4 cylinder 4 stroke, which is a lighter brand new design. I could sell my old motor to help reduce the cost of the new one. I am a little leery of first year new design motors though, and wonder which will be more reliable/cost efficient. I am a recreational boater that puts about 150 hours a year on my boat. Any thoughts.

If you are going to repower a 23DVCC then go with a 250. That boat needs the HP. I have one with a 225 OX66 and it is ok with 3 people but with 4-5 people or heavily loaded with ice and etc...it needs more power. Do you have and top and bracket?

Yes she is a full transom/bracket boat. I have the 200 and have been happy with it. I fish Chesapeake Bay and inshore ocean. It is choppy most of the time so 22-23 kt cruise is doing good. She seems to be most comfortable around 18 kts with the bow trimmed down so that DV can slice the sea. But I can see where the extra HP would come in handy.

Nobplt":2g8gwgl3 said:
I've had my 1995 2300 DVCC with a 1995 200 Yamaha straight carbureted 2 stroke for only a few months now. She runs great, but I do pamper her with good gas, oil, and Ring Free, which is a little expensive.
Forget the Ring Free and do a decarb, using Seafoam ala 'Dunk's method' every 50-hours ... there's posts here on CP on how best to do it.

Most every one I talk to is telling me keep that old engine. She is bullet proof, and rebuild her when the time comes if you need to.
Having done it, I'd advise anyone who would listen to NOT wa$te the $$ rebuilding an old 2-stroke motor! As is, the rebuild is only good for a few hundred hours ...

I could sell my old motor to help reduce the cost of the new one.
Your old motor is worth practically nothing in trade and I wouldn't pay $1K for it retail ... too old to throw $$ into "for others", IMHO, but may very well be perfect for you!

Most every one I talk to is telling me keep that old engine.
I would! As I've shown here all along, my brother's 23' deep-V Grady White still runs the original twin Yam 150hp 2-strokes from 1987! A little PM, good gas, Yamalube or Penzoil semi-synthetic TC-W3 oil, and a Seafoam decarb every 50-hours keeps them purring along!

You know, if you went to a PowerTech 4-blade prop, you'd greatly improve your performance! Contact Ken at http://www.propgods.com and tell him I sent you. He has a prop exchange program to make sure YOU get the right prop on that boat/motor. And make sure that OB isn't set too deep!

windknotnc":2g8gwgl3 said:
If you are going to repower a 23DVCC then go with a 250.
Yeah, but the Yam F250 ain't a 'real' 250hp motor either without high octane fuel ... maybe a 235hp on E10 fuels, according to noted OB gurus.

I appreciate all the advice. Any comments on the new Yamaha 4 Cylinder 200? Too much HP out of 4 Cylinders?

Nobplt":xejn3opt said:
I appreciate all the advice. Any comments on the new Yamaha 4 Cylinder 200? Too much HP out of 4 Cylinders?
FWIW the technology exists out there in current engines (not OBs) to get almost 100hp per cylinder. The word on the street is that the 4-cylinder 150hps are the absolute nuts! Haven't heard scuttlebutt about the 200s yet ...

Supposedly not the same engine as the 150, just a little bigger with the computer delivering more gas and air to produce the HP. I know in diesels this normally results in shorter life time of the engine. I understand that Yamaha test their new engines for several years before releasing them. Sure would hate to wind up with a lemon though.

I say spend the $$$ and enjoy the savings on fuel an oil. You might want to consider a larger engine though, but if you're not into speed I would make the move.

I have a 2000 23 dvcc (no bracket) repowered with a 2011 200hpdi and it runs great and is incredibly fuel efficient. it's not a speed demon but I had 5 adults last week running in a 1-3 bay chop and it ran fine, no limping on plane or anything. it's not a 40mph cruise boat but at 25 i'm happy and the fuel consumption is perfect for me. i'm starting to regret selling it but I've made the decision to go bigger.

My thoughts would be keep the old motor until it blows or starts costing to much in services repairs. Save the cash and then repower.

Thanks for all the good replies. If I can sell my 2 stroke for a decent price I may take the plunge. If not I will hold tight. I will keep you posted.

Nobplt":2y4xixlp said:
If I can sell my 2 stroke for a decent price I may take the plunge. If not I will hold tight.
No offense, but good luck selling an almost 20-year old 2-stroke motor "for a decent price" ...

Nobplt":29rnutbw said:
Thanks for all the good replies. If I can sell my 2 stroke for a decent price I may take the plunge. If not I will hold tight. I will keep you posted.

I guess it depends on what you think 'decent' is...FWIW, I'm right in the middle of a re-power at the moment. Probably the worst time of year to try and negotiate a 'deal' but in the course of running the numbers both the Yamaha and Suzuki dealers gave some consideration to my 96 Ocean Pro as a 'trade-in' to make the numbers at least seem a little better. $750 with the Suzuki, and extending the warranty to 6 years for the Yamaha.(as an aside, the Suz has 6 years) Like buying a car, it's difficult to know what the real numbers are, in the end I went with what made more sense for me financially. Most likely, the dealer will part out the old motor and make some $ in the process. They offered to put it on the back of my truck and I could have attempted to sell it myself, but the very last thing I need is another project.

. . . .. I was going to repower my last boat to a more fuel efficient four stroke. .. .but also as a recreational boater the numbers weren't worth it. The engine I had ran fine. .. . she was just a bit thirsty in the fuel department. My mechanic told me he could get me $3k for it. . ...which if I remember correctly covered the installation and cost to swap cables and such. I had planned on putting on a new Suzuki and at the time had all the numbers of the total install. . .. . . .I looked at my gas receipts from the previous year and (with my mech)gave a good guess as to what that cost would have been had I had the new motor. I figured it would take me roughly 7 or 8 years (I forget) to break even and have that new motor actually 'save' me gas money. .. . . hopefully.

. . . . .so I kept the motor I had on the boat .. . . . .. . . ..but then just sold the boat and bought the Parker :wink: . . .. .. ..I plan on doing the same with this motor. . . .. a 1998 200 HP Yamaha SSII that runs like a champ and really isn't too bad on gas. . .. . . ..run her till she can do no more. .. . .then think about repower. . .. . . .OR a bigger Parker! :D I figure she has many more years left in her. . .. . and who knows where technology will be in outboards then!

Having held onto my 2 stroke until she finally blew through part of a cylinder, I understand the reluctance to repower. BUT...

I replaced a power head on an old Evinrude in the past and there is a very short (like ten hours) warranty and not worth it.

I ended up repowering my 2300DV with the same engine that Dale has, a Suzuki DF250. Yup, it was way more than I wanted to spend. But the results are amazing. Not all outboards are alike, and the joy that knowing your boat will always start,, jump out of the hole and go 40 MPH even loaded is pretty sweet. The fact that my gas mileage has nearly doubled is icing on the cake!

Back