Buying a boat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markboucher

Reaction score
I'm buying a boat. I'm going 7.5 hours away from Wisconsin to Minnesota to pick up a 2001 Glastron SX 175. It's in pretty good shape with low hours on the motor (cabin boat, used about 20hours a year). He is going to run the motor for me with a hose, I believe, as we can't put it in the water (no time and no lakes nearby). I think I know all the right things to ask & what to look for. The first thing I asked about was the trailer as I am driving a long way home; he just re-packed the bearings and put new tires on. Can you guys give me your ideas on what to look for?

I would look for any water damage, soft spots on the hull, any fiberglass damage major things like that. I am assuming a 9 year old Glastron would not be held to that high of a standard but maybe look at the wiring and see if they used decent connectors and how well its organized. It will give you an idea of how much work you will want to do when you get it. Tell him not to start the motor before you get there so that you can see how it fires up cold. Check it when you get there by putting your hand on the block to make sure he hasnt been running it. Move the steering wheel and controls to see if they are cables and how good of shape the cables are. I think you will know pretty easily as soon as you walk up if its worth buying. Then just do a few checks of the major issues that could be there and enjoy

Back