Can't fill fuel tank on 2015 2520 XLD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still waiting for a reply from Parker. One of my buddies that I bowl with builds tanks for all kinds of marine applications. He offered to take a look for me, but I don't want to bother him just yet. He said that filter costs some $$, also said that if a hose is too long it would cause a vapor lock. We shall see what develops.

John,

As of July 2013 the EPA required a total redesign of the gasoline fuel systems in newly manufactured boats. These regulations required both the boat builder and the fuel tank manufacturer to comply using components which may reduce the amount of fuel pumped into the tank based on the angle of the boat when being filled. The regulations required boat builders to supply tank manufactures the static float angle of the tanks with the boat at rest in the water. This in return may reduce the amount of fuel able to be pumped in the tank at any angles lesser or greater that the static float angle of the tank. In order to meet the regulatory requirements by the EPA the boat was placed in the water with a full tank of fuel and the angle of the tank was then measured. Any gear, livewell, persons, etc. may change the ability of the tank to accept the full amount of fuel as tested.

In addition to the aforementioned requirements boat manufacturers were also required to install carbon canisters in the gas tank vent line. Upon initial fueling the carbon canister must become saturated with fuel vapors before allowing a normal flow of fuel into the tank. Fueling at a slower than normal rate will be necessary for first time fill ups.

cid:[email protected]

Parker Marine Enterprises

2570 NC HWY 101, BEAUFORT, NC 28516

252-728-5621

www.parkerboats.net

I will see if the situation improves after another couple of fill ups but I am guessing this filter reduces the filling capacity, so in turn the tank might be rated for 179 gallons but I am thinking it reduces the limit by about 15%. I might try an get my buddy to take a look at it if it doesn't improve, maybe he can figure something out, he is an expert when it comes to fuel tanks.

Lucky John":3ftw47c3 said:
John,

As of July 2013 the EPA required a total redesign of the gasoline fuel systems in newly manufactured boats. These regulations required both the boat builder and the fuel tank manufacturer to comply using components which may reduce the amount of fuel pumped into the tank based on the angle of the boat when being filled. The regulations required boat builders to supply tank manufactures the static float angle of the tanks with the boat at rest in the water. This in return may reduce the amount of fuel able to be pumped in the tank at any angles lesser or greater that the static float angle of the tank. In order to meet the regulatory requirements by the EPA the boat was placed in the water with a full tank of fuel and the angle of the tank was then measured. Any gear, livewell, persons, etc. may change the ability of the tank to accept the full amount of fuel as tested.

In addition to the aforementioned requirements boat manufacturers were also required to install carbon canisters in the gas tank vent line. Upon initial fueling the carbon canister must become saturated with fuel vapors before allowing a normal flow of fuel into the tank. Fueling at a slower than normal rate will be necessary for first time fill ups.

cid:[email protected]

Parker Marine Enterprises

2570 NC HWY 101, BEAUFORT, NC 28516

252-728-5621

http://www.parkerboats.net

I will see if the situation improves after another couple of fill ups but I am guessing this filter reduces the filling capacity, so in turn the tank might be rated for 179 gallons but I am thinking it reduces the limit by about 15%. I might try an get my buddy to take a look at it if it doesn't improve, maybe he can figure something out, he is an expert when it comes to fuel tanks.
Are you still having the issue ? I'm currently looking at buying a new 2520, 2510 or 2320. Undecided on boat model, but fuel range is huge to me going offshore 60 miles. I'd want to know I could fill her all the way up ?

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I still have to trickle in the last 10-15 gallons every time I fuel up. I've tried all kinds of tricks as well to no avail. A real PITA let me tell ya, esp when the green flies are trying to chew your ankles off at the gas dock

I emailed Parker last year to ask how much fuel is unusable and was told not to count on the last 10%. So, if the new Parker can't only be filled to 85-90%, that's 20-25% less usable fuel than listed capacity.

Lucky John":74n9miv9 said:
Yes I still have to trickle in the last 10-15 gallons every time I fuel up. I've tried all kinds of tricks as well to no avail. A real PITA let me tell ya, esp when the green flies are trying to chew your ankles off at the gas dock
Got the new boat. Took me 1.5 hrs to put in 60 gallons last weekend. This is crazy ? I have to trickle the entire tank.

Well I am in my 3rd season and it still remains to be a PITA (Pain In The A**) I must take the extra time to top off on every canyon run which take me at least another 30 min or so. Otherwise I will just keep drizzling it in till I get tired. Generally the last 20 gallons suck.....

Lucky John":2sk0laat said:
Well I am in my 3rd season and it still remains to be a PITA (Pain In The A**) I must take the extra time to top off on every canyon run which take me at least another 30 min or so. Otherwise I will just keep drizzling it in till I get tired. Generally the last 20 gallons suck.....
When you top off does gas come out the vent ? Mine hasn't done that. I finally stopped when gas in the hose wouldn't go down anymore. I had to run 100 miles + last weekend and wanted the tank full but it's hard to tell with this new system. My old boat would just fill full speed and click off when it was full, so I'm sort of winging it now and hoping its full. I've been keeping a gas log and using gauges to help, but not a perfect science for me yet.

Mine has never came out the vent. I am able to fill right to the top of the neck but it takes time. When I haul out this winter I am going to have my buddy who builds customs tanks take a look and see if he can do anything

There was a thread over on THT a few months ago where someone practically took their new boat apart to figure out a solution. If I remember correctly, it wasn't just that charcoal canister but also something on the pickup tube in the tank that needs to be disabled/removed.

You can thank your EPA for the regulations that mandated those charcoal containers.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 299
Thanks Tim I am going to show this to my friend when he comes back from a job in Florida. Hopefully he can make a couple adjustments because it really drives me nuts. Another auirk with the 2520 is the bilges. Love my boat but thw little quirks drives me insane

Lucky John":1sem9bqd said:
Thanks Tim I am going to show this to my friend when he comes back from a job in Florida. Hopefully he can make a couple adjustments because it really drives me nuts. Another auirk with the 2520 is the bilges. Love my boat but thw little quirks drives me insane
Hey Jon. Were you ever able to fix the fuel issue? It’s still taking me forever to fill my tank. The gas nozzle just shuts off every time I give it any pressure and I pretty much have to trickle the entire tank.

Back