Changing Oil (Evinrude)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
Can any one point me to a site that will detail out changing the oil on my Evinrude. I haven't done it this year and last year it was done by a marine mechanic at the marina. I don't believe it's a very challenging task so I'd like to do it myself. I have a manual for the motor but it's on the boat itself.

I am more concerned with what items I need to purchase so I can have them on hand when I get to the boat. At that point, I can follow the step by step layout in the manual.

I searched this site but didn't find anything specific.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2003 Evinrude 225 Bombadier

If you are talking 4 stroke, look for a suzuki oil change procedure, they are basically the same engine except for the stickers. :mrgreen:

Its fairly simple. Undo the top drain plug on the lower unit, then unscrew the bottom plug, let the oil drain out for some time, you will need to get the correct evinrude pump that threads into the lower drain on the lower unit, pump the lower unit full of fluid until the oil comes out the top drain plug. Be sure to replace both gaskets on both the plugs, put the top plug back in and tighten, then remove the pump from the lower oil fill and tighten lower drain plug. You are done

There is absolutely no need to replace the gaskets on each change.
But what do I know, we've only been running a good dozen OBs a year for the last 20-years ... and I take care of/service another 4-6 per season for my boatclub.

A good examination will tell you if/when it might be time to replace one. I think I have replaced 3-4 in the last 10-years. Oh, and I've never had a saltwater intrusion issue on any OB gearcase over the last 40-years ...

But ... I'll gladly agree to disagree ...

miky2884":35xbmgfk said:
for 1.59 mine get changed
... and for every 2 you change, I drink a free :) beer ...

I have soooooooooo much better things to waste my $$ on ...

Is this evinrude specific stuff or can I just pick this stuff up at West Marine? I have one down the street from me at work (Alexandria).

My last boat had a 2001 evinrude and i always used the evinrude brand gear lube. Its what is reccomended so i went with it and i always felt that if something went wrong with the lower unit my local dealer knew i used the evinrude gear lube. Someone might have an other oppinion.

Back