Charger/Inverter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freespool

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for recommendations for a charger inverter for my newly purchased (used 2006) 2530. I want a 3 bank at least 40 amp charger and at least 1800 watt inverter.
I was leaning toward purchasing a Zantrax inverter charger combo but the reviews on West Marine's site were very poor. I would like to keep the price around 500 dollars.
Also, can someone please explain the sine technology?

At the risk of having my ears pinned back by someone who knows more than I do......

Sine wave current as opposed to square wave. Square wave is less expensive to create but the resulting current in "choppy" as the current stops flowing for a micro second while the direction of flow is reversed. Sine wave generators produce a smooth transition of cycles in which the current gradually changes from plus to minus.

Many devices do not get on along very well with square wave current. This is information I gathered during my life as a computer guy. Given the number of computers we all have on our boats these days I'd be very careful about introducing a square wave generator.

The short version is, if you are looking at a more expensive device that produces sine wave current I'd go for it without even pausing.

Sine-wave inverters produce true 120VAC. Square wave inverters produce a chopped AC that can play havoc on sensitive electronics.

Xantrex inverters are good. We've got a 2kW and a 600w inverter, both ProWatt models. I bought them through Amazon. The ProSine is a much better unit, and is marine-rated.

I've got no experience with Inverter-Chargers, but we've had good luck with Xantrex.

What are you planning on running for electronics?

Back