Choosing the right Garmin electronics

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericski13

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a new Parker 2320SL, taking delivery in the Sping. Trying to choose the electronics package has been interesting. I guess if money was no object I could have allot of fun. Unfortunately that is not the case. Does anyone have an opionion on the Garmin 740S verses the 4210. Is it that much better to buy into a black box system with the 4210 or will th 740S be just fine. I plan on using the boat in RI between Charlestown and Block Island. Maybe someday going out even furthur however right now I am trying to protect my investment and family while having some fun fishing. I am sure we will get caught in all kinds of weather so the radar is a must.
Any opionions are welcome as I am brand new at this and want to make the right choice even if it cost a little more but would love to save some money if the larger units are full of options that i'll never use.

The best person to tell you the differences, features, and affordability of Garmin products is Jim Maier at BOE Marine.
Jim is a Garmin dealer as well as an installer, so he can put together the perfect package for you while staying within your budget.
1-866-735-5926 Toll free.

Well Size does matter......Especially if your splitting a screen.

The 740S is a 7in screen

The 4210 is a 10in screen.

If your going Black Box and Radar then think even Bigger. Like a 4212

Congratulations!

I don't know anything about RI conditions, but why restrict yourself to Garmin? You can get the newest technology Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 2 Touch for less than Garmin 4210 + GSD24 + transducer. The Lowrance unit also includes Structure Scan and built in GPS. I think you have to buy an external GPS antenna for the Garmin. Not sure how an internal GPS will funtion mounted inside the house?

I'm getting ready to upgrade the electronics in my 2002 2320 and am looking at all options, but am leaning towards the HDS-12 Gen 2 Touch when this 12" model is released next month.

I would also look at Simrad NSS8. This Simrad has built-in sonar and GPS. A lot pricier than 740s, but they have a $100 rebate right now. I would seriously consider the NSS12 for my boat, but for some reason Simrad didn't include built-in sonar in the 12" model.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll great advice. Keeping my eye out for the new 2013 units.

Back