Cleaning

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaff

Reaction score
Gonna be in the water for a month in the Keys.

#1) What is the best cleaner/detergent that you recomend that is "safe/biodegradable" to use to clean up fish mess, etc while I'm in the water. Hose it down with fresh water every day after fishing but sometimes it needs more. At home usually soap & a little bleach but don't want to do that in the water.

#2) Different boat last time I was there but at the end of 3 weeks in the water had barnacle like stuff starting on the metal of the motor, bracket & trim tabs. Any suggestions to keep that off?

As always, thanks for the expert advice & suggestions on this great site.

Bleach and nearly all detergents are very biodegradeable, especially in the concentrations used in home/boat cleaners. (if you want to get into details, the popular product "Simple Green" is one of the worst out there. It uses high concentrations of Nonyl Phenol Ethoxylates, which are banned in many cleaners, including nearly all Household Laundry Detergents)

I'd use the same thing in the Keys than what you use at home. If you're concerned with the "harmful" effects of what you might use in the Keys, why wouldn't you be similary concerned at home?

If you're concerned with the "harmful" effects of what you might use in the Keys, why wouldn't you be similary concerned at home?

Boats in the yard at home, not in the water.

Any other insight from you folks that keep your boat in the water? What do you use? Thanks

I use a solution of Orpine Boat soap and Orange Zep citrus cleaner with bleach added for blood stains.
At the concentrations I'm using, no damage is being done.

Back