Closed cooling system > 5.7 inboard.... What temp should

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunamaster

Reaction score
I have this brand new rig..... The engine is running anywhere from 168 - 180... It has a 160 thermostat..... when running at cruise speed it is running at like 175.....

Around 168 when at no wake speed.........

Wish it would run at 160 all the time. I have to crank the the RPM's to 3500 - 3800 to get any speed out of this beast...... Would like to have ir run nice and cool?????

Any input is welcomed........

Thanks

Bryan 2530":kga4ggfz said:
Yeah, those numbers sound good, you don't want the engine running to cool.

Agreed.
160 to 180 is right in her sweet spot.

a 160 thermostat just means the thermostats OPEN at 160, not that the engine will RUN at 160.

our boats at work running big blocks get delivered with 195 thermos, and they run at 220 in the heat, we swap them out with 165 thermos and they run at 180-195 all day long. you never see 165.

It will run more efficiently at 180-190 too. I'd be inclined to put a 180 thermostat in it to keep it from running too cool.

I have a 5.7 L fresh water cooled Volvo. Has 160F thermostat. You will not see 160F. It will run at 170F and higher when you are going unless you are in very cold water.

Will run 175F and higher at speed.

Don't change the thermostat, you will lose coolant eventually. Fresh water cooled run hotter than raw water cooled.

Dana

Back