Concerned about Parker purchase

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick B

Reaction score
Hello Parker folks. I have enjoyed the forum and all of its great information for a couple years now. I was very close to finally purchasing my dream boat a few weeks ago. A new (2020) 2120 SC from my local dealer. I took a family member along who has a wealth of knowledge on boats for the company but also for his insight. I understood the lamination schedule and wood encapsulation for Parkers to be of high quality and I was not intimidated by the use of wood in the vessel. However, after taking some under deck pics above the gas tank from through the access, we discovered some raw wood that was not encapsulated along with some nails that apparently had missed their mark. The nails didn't concern me as much as the raw wood. I was upset because I have researched Parker for a few years and fell in love with the brand as well as the boats themselves. I would like your honest thoughts/opinions as to wether or not I should be so concerned or critical of this finding. Is this area of the vessel a wetted area since all of the surrounding wood is encapsulated? Is raw wood common in these boats? I still want to go with Parker but I am concerned with the build quality based on this finding as well as the catastrophe with the crooked one we all know about. I appreciate any thoughts or opinions in advance. I will post pics as soon as I am able to add the attachments.

Hi Patrick. I'm going to be buying a new or used Parker here within the next year or so and am concerned also. You lost me on "crooked one we all know about" comment. Are you talking about the nails that missed their mark or something else?

Have the issue addressed before you take delivery, I'm sure it will be taken care of though

One key point is any hatch will leak esp a deck hatch. Cockpit hatches need routine maintenance to stop water from saturating the tank foam and causing tank failure down the road.

I pull pie plates at least twice a year to check for water and lube the O rings
I dont know which hatch brand Parker is using now but for my old boat, I either replace hatches or O rings if I see water or water spots over tank.

Usually the O rings fail I have one Tempress and one Beckson. Tempress have a small diameter O ring whereas the Beckson is thicker and robust.
You need that air gap under the deck for ventilation.

During storage I pull one pie plate and install a solar fan to let the boat breath better.

Discuss your issues with dealer and make sure they contact Parker engineering and document it. M2cw is some dealers are better at service and customer service than other Parker dealers from what I have read

Last but should have been first, welcome to Classic Parker

I will post pics asap but I am having some trouble attaching. The pics will basically show the top of the fuel tank, some expanded foam along the perimeter of the tank along bulkhead, some air nailer nails that missed the bulkhead by 3/4" or so, and a crossmember piece of wood running port to starboard above the tank with no encapsulation. It is obvious that it is just raw wood which baffled me. Again, I appreciate the use of wood in a vessel as well as composite and have researched until I am satisfied with both products but the visible raw un-encapsulated wood threw me. Anyways, sorry it's taking so long to upload pics. I appreciate all the comments and I still feel that Parker is a great product and will more than likely still be my choice.

Thanks for the tapatalk advice. Pretty cool! Here are the pics I mentioned.
be3f3d2e550f4d1196394984b9d0f494.jpg
f0437bd26c3bc05c7f7fe694c0deba4f.jpg
b8caafa3abb666b658088d36e94dda83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Additional pics. No, I didn't talk to dealer and discuss and haven't contacted Parker either. I did not buy this boat but I was considering it initially. If I were to buy, I would possibly order a new one and specifically request no raw wood. Although, a good condition used Parker is just as good as new obviously, in my opinion, and I would not be opposed to that either.
a5d7002f96da3d80c3f3ba4e6c7f91bd.jpg
5926091ea382d6fa9a35e0fe78648239.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That is strange. It doesn’t appear to be fastened to any of the surrounding members. I wonder if it is something temporary that was supposed to be removed.

FishWhisperer":36q5cvxx said:
It almost appears that it is a temporary bulkhead of some sort to hold the foam behind it in place? Doesn’t look structural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. That is what it looks like to me. A temporary dam to hold the foam in place.

I don’t believe the wood is to contain the foam. On my 2120 I have exposed wood on top of the gas tank. I believe the wood is either a deck support or braces for the gas tank.

I have an '07 2120, just pulled the deck plate covers off to look, mine is the same - raw wood - above the tank, looks fine, no signs of the wood ever being wet, still solid wood.
Not sure what the raw wood is for, deck support, tank supports, foam dams?

Several years ago I changed the tank sending unit. Cleaned both deck plate covers and lubed the o-rings with silicone lube. ( I rarely remove the deck plates and have never changed the o-rings ).
Still no signs of ever leaking? That I can see?
Disclaimer;
Boat is in California - inland, dry climate, stored on a trailer, very well maintained, low hours.

I believe those boards are stiffeners for the deck kinda like a spine. The deck doesn't sit on them but the deck is just nailed to them. I had my decks out on my 99 a year ago and the construction was identical and they were still solid with no rot.

Do we know if that untreated wood should have been removed. Why were nails used and why does this look like such POOR craftsmanship. I own a 2013 23se. My hope is it was built before the quality control issues.

Back