Console Modifications for Parker 18 - Advice Needed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversides

Reaction score
I have decided to keep the console I have and I would like to make some minor modifications.
I would like to have access to storage under the seat but currently there is no hatch or hinged lid on the seat.

What would be the best way to provide access to this storage area? Currently I can only access this area from the helm opening.

Console size: 25" Wide, 33" Long, 34" High

Thanks, :lol:
Nick

Attachments

• Console 001.jpg
    Console 001.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 266
I was considering the same. Would it be best to put the hatch on top of the seat or along the side or front of the seat? Which would be stronger and still allow and angler to sit on the seat without breaking anything?

Thanks,
Nick

I thought about that too right after I posted my reply. There are considerations for both top and front mounting. The hatches are pretty strong but a big guy sitting on one may cause some sag? Depends on the hatch I guess. I kind of like the top mount as it creates a hole to put stuff in and you can reach everything with the top down approach. On the other hand, it looks like you have more surface area on the front for mounting so depending on the size of the hatch?? If you mount on the front make sure it opens down so you don't have to squat down and hold it open while trying to get stuff out. My 2120 has one under the bench seat that was like that from the factory and I had to flip it around as it was a pain to squat down and hold it open every tine you needed to get something in/out. Seems obvious I know but that's how they mount them at the plant. Structurally, which can handle the load after cutting it out better?? You have plenty to consider but I like your idea.

Silversides":12mg5jy1 said:
I was considering the same. Would it be best to put the hatch on top of the seat or along the side or front of the seat? Which would be stronger and still allow and angler to sit on the seat without breaking anything?

I would consider a bilge hatch with a cushion on top, or an insert (or two) that would hold Plano boxes.
With the width of that seat, you could put a set of boxes on each side, or a single one up front.

Lots of options.

Capt. Kevin,
What are your thoughts on a replacement Leaning post for this setup?
I currently have 1 pedestal seat.
With the size of the console being smaller than the norm, I would like a leaning post that will still hold 2 anglers but
not be too large. I also want storage under the leaning post cushion and room for a cooler and/or gas tanks.

Thanks,
Nick :)

Silversides":2uy72fl0 said:
What are your thoughts on a replacement Leaning post for this setup?
I currently have 1 pedestal seat.
With the size of the console being smaller than the norm, I would like a leaning post that will still hold 2 anglers but
not be too large. I also want storage under the leaning post cushion and room for a cooler and/or gas tanks.

Nick... There a couple of ways you could go.
If all you wanted to do was to swap that chair for a single-person leaning post, check Birdsall Marine.
http://www.marineproducts.net

They used to sell one that would clamp to the seat post you have now, tho I don't see it on their site right now, so if that interests you, I would call them.
Better would be to replace that seat with a proper leaning post that would allow a cooler to be stored beneath. (check their web site at the link above)

I had a leaning post like that in my old Dusky that had a cooler below it, and rod holders across the back.
I used the cooler as dry storage. Photos below.

Attachments

• 02 Dusky.jpg
    02 Dusky.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
  • 01 Dusky.jpg
    01 Dusky.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 200
Back