Cooler advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian82

Reaction score
So being that there isn't a fish box on my 97' 2530 I'm going to need a cooler of some sort. I was thinking about storing it on my swim platform since I have an I/O and don't want to take up precious fishing space. Anybody have thoughts about mounting, size, or brand? I fish for fluke, bluefish, stripers, and would like to get into some tuna now that I have a bigger boat. Overnight trip at most and I'll keep my food in a separate smaller cooler. I bought a Coleman from Walmart this season and it sucks. Lid strap broke and hinges (twice). I would like the best bang for the buck.

As for mounting, if I was going to put it on the swim platform I was thinking about installing cooler corner mounts and strapping it too that. Is this too much weight on the platform?

Yeti 75 is a great purchase. I have the 45 and the 75, a little bang in the price, but they are what they preach.

I was looking at the Yeti. I just came across the Brute Box. A little cheaper but maybe it's not worth skimping on.

Yetis are very nice but big $$$. I have a Moeller Ice Station 125qt that I use on my charters. I had the 170qt but it was too big, ate too much ice and was unnecessary. The Moellers are very durable but not quite as nice as the Yeti.

If I were buying again today, I would likely go with a grizzly cooler: http://www.grizzlycoolers.com

Right now they seem to be about the best bang for the buck on the market.

This is just an idea but would an insulated fish bag be an option for you. Tackle direct has a few and some have a transom mount. maybe not the best option for an overnight trip, but its a space saving option. That would open up any available cooler space for additional ice.

If you choose to mount a cooler on the swim platform make sure it will hold a cooler full of ice and fish. Years ago a friend had a big Igloo on a platform on his 24 Albemarle. Returning from a fishing trip in moderate seas, when he looked back after getting through the inlet the platform and cooler were gone. It broke off somewhere on the 50 mile trip home.

I was thinking that that would be too much weight. Maybe I'll just put it out on the platform while I'm fishing. Thanks for all of the advice.

Back