cup holder/rod holders on SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the cup/rod holders back to regular rod holders? They've got a larger footprint/cut out than the regular rod holders so I can't just swap them out. Maybe a square stainless plate using same holes as cup holders and rod holder mounted to plate or rod holder that comes with that kind of mounting plate. Those rear cup/rod holders got to go. The forward ones don't bother me as much since they won't be used as rod holders as much and the wife may be sunning her self with a cold beer in the bow. Thanks.

They are made by Mate Series, and there is an all stainless option that will drop right into the holes you already have drilled from Parker. This has been discussed on here once or twice. For ease of not having to drill new holes or deal with covering up old ones, this is probably your best bet.

https://mateseries.com/product-category/stainless/

Mr. Speeder":11zv8emo said:
They are made by Mate Series, and there is an all stainless option that will drop right into the holes you already have drilled from Parker. This has been discussed on here once or twice. For ease of not having to drill new holes or deal with covering up old ones, this is probably your best bet.

Thanks a lot Speeder, I found the old thread in a search and looks to be the best/easiest solution to a problem Parker needs to address. Things like this aren't huge issues but make me wonder where else they're cutting corners. Shouldn't spend 60K on a new boat and start having to spend more replacing things before the boat gets wet for the first time. I believe the 30 degree angle is what I need.

Yes, everybody hates the $19.99 plastic rod holders... I am swapping mine out shortly as well.

captnick":3je3k6ko said:
Mr. Speeder":3je3k6ko said:

Thanks a lot Speeder, I found the old thread in a search and looks to be the best/easiest solution to a problem Parker needs to address. Things like this aren't huge issues but make me wonder where else they're cutting corners. Shouldn't spend 60K on a new boat and start having to spend more replacing things before the boat gets wet for the first time. I believe the 30 degree angle is what I need.

Or, we shouldn't spend $160-170k on a new Parker and have to deal with that. Purchase the Mate Series, they are 100% direct drop in replacements for the POS Parker provides. The sad thing, Robin (we truly appreciate all you do!) and company are monitoring this site yet no changes are made.

Is there anyone here willing to spend $100K+ on a new Parker who wouldn't spend an extra $100/$150 on real heavy duty cup/rod holders that are consistent with the heavy duty nature with our boats? I will probably be scorned and go to H for stating that here.
Happy fishing...

I ordered and received the replacement solid stainless with forged gimbal cup/rod holders. Like others have said these seem to be very well made, look good and will fit the foot print of what is there now. Just plain rod holders would have been better but with that big hole to cover would have been a hassle. I appreciate the links to these replacements since they're an easy fix to an issue that's been nagging me. This is a great place to get advice from other Parker owners.

I replaced the plastic rod/cup holders on the SE with the solid stainless mate series yesterday. I didn't do the bedding. Is it necessary and what is the purpose of the bedding? Is it to stop water intrusion and salt build up underneath? One nut is a real PIA to get my paws on and I don't want to take them off again if I don't need to.

After removal of plastic rod/cup holders I found both of the to be totally cracked screw hole to screw hole along the contour of the cup holder. Both the forward and rear of both were badly cracked. when I put a little finger pressure on both to take pictures the things snapped in half. These had been fished one day for 3-4# sea bass. They may have been over tightened at the factory but that shouldn't crack them all the way across unless the plastic is too brittle. Unless you take them off and look you won't know till they fail. The cracking starts from the bottom and may not show if you just remove that stamped stainless cap. You ought to take a look at yours. I sent Parker and Mate Series photos but was unable to do here.

Brent":1z04pbmi said:
Use Tapatalk app on phone

B2
I'm technicalogically (if that's a word) challenged. As an update I got an immediate response from the owner of the company that makes the holders. He was well aware of the issue and explained that it is only an issue on Parkers. He hired a lab to do testing to determine why this was happening. The results found the rubber gasket Parker was/is using was emitting gas(gassing) that was causing the degradation of the plastic and cracking. This makes sense since all of the cracks on both holders start from the bottom where the gasket meets the plastic. He has told Parker about the problem and was under the impression they were using a different gasket to eliminate the issue. My SE was manufactured in Oct. 2017 and apparently had the problem gaskets. Mike, the owner, assured me fiberglass and gel coat isn't an issue with this gasket, degradation is limited to the ABS plastic used in the cup/rod holder. He's a stand up guy and I ordered two more SSteel ones for the bow too. I'm also getting backing plates although I don't know yet if there is enough room to use them. They are 3#, heavy duty, highly polished 316 stainless and look good. They're probably stronger than the Parker rod holders since they aren't spot welded.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 201
Brent":1u6xs32z said:
Thanks and no big deal. I use Tapatalk all of the time and useful to post pics
I don't think I can do that with my black rotary phone. :lol:

I've now replaced all four of these rod/cup holders with the stainless replacements with four backing plates. I'm posting to recommend the backing plates and to let you guys know there is room to mount the backing plates on the 23 SE. It's a simple install and easier with the backing plates because you have longer screws to work with. I found the holes drilled for the holders were very close to the 3 1/4"cut out hole so the backing plates add much more strength. On the aft two holders I had to bench grind the backing plates on the outside edge closest to hull about 1/4" to give enough room for them to sit flush. The forward two had plenty of room as is. Replacing these also gave me the opportunity to 4200 the inside of the cut out and screw holes to seal any exposed plywood. Gaskets are available from the manufacturer if you choose which is what I did.

Whether it is $70K, or $170K, I doubt the dealer is going to lose your sale if you say, "OBTW, I want those cheap ass plastic rod holders replaced with the SS before I take delivery".
If they are still using them this winter, everyone who walks into their booth at a boat show should ask them why.

PKS1801":1t5ymg9k said:
Whether it is $70K, or $170K, I doubt the dealer is going to lose your sale if you say, "OBTW, I want those cheap ass plastic rod holders replaced with the SS before I take delivery".
If they are still using them this winter, everyone who walks into their booth at a boat show should ask them why.
Agreed. My official response from Parker after sending them photos of the holders that were literally falling apart before ever being used was one sentence. "We have been using the same gasket for four years and seen some failures usually with newer boats built in the last year and a half." Needless to say, I was deeply moved by their in depth caring response. I decided they were going to be replaced as soon as I saw them on the boat. If I hadn't replaced them I never would have spotted all the cracks. I'm sure there are a lot of Parker owner's who have the same issue I had on all four rod/cup holders and don't know it. I appreciate that Johnkn gave me the link to get the replacements since finding a solution to this was nagging me since I first saw the boat. Too awesome of a boat to have those plastic things on it.

Back