Deck soft spots

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMarkCA

Reaction score
My '96 2320 has developed a few, they aren't real bad, but I can feel them. Has anyone ever tried using the expanding spray foam to bolster soft spots above the fuel tank?

Aside from that whim, are there any other methods to address soft spots that don't involve pulling up the deck?

Thank you.

Brent":febphi63 said:
First, grind out the worst ones and inspect the width and depth. Most likely can be filled and add a new deck finish like gelcoat or paint.

B2

Do you know what causes these soft spots?

unsealed holes, dropping items on deck and breaking gelcoat and wood bond, then letting moisture. incorrect plywood type or grade, . I expect your deck. only the top side is sealed and underside is not. Decks are attached with ring shank nails and can pop or move over time letting moisture in.

How are the deck hatches? maybe pull all of them, inspect, repair if needed then seal wood edges then install new hatches.

B2

Brent":3n16faob said:
unsealed holes, dropping items on deck and breaking gelcoat and wood bond, then letting moisture. incorrect plywood type or grade, . I expect your deck. only the top side is sealed and underside is not. Decks are attached with ring shank nails and can pop or move over time letting moisture in.

How are the deck hatches? maybe pull all of them, inspect, repair if needed then seal wood edges then install new hatches.

B2

Well I have about three soft spots, but I would say all three are not around the hatches. I did have some spider cracking in the gel-coat, in the process of laying down some tough coat right now. The boat has been warehoused for two years now, hatches open, so I'm sure it is well dried out. I was thinking of shooting some of the expansion foam between the deck and fuel tank for support until someday if it gets worse and have to have it professional repaired. right now still fairly firm, but I can feel the deck flex in the three locations.

Do a search on gorilla glue. I think it was on this site. Someone used it on small soft spots. It reacts with the moister in the wet deck to cure. It does involve drilling hole trough the gel coat and patch once the gorilla glue has cured. Most fixes need the wood to be dry which won’t really happen unless you open up the deck and have a lot of time for it to dry out. Good luck with your repair.

On a previous vessel I owned we drilled 1/4 holes 2-4” apart in the affected areas and injected un thickened epoxy with a syringe into the holes. It took a few applications about an hour apart to fill the soft areas. It firmed the deck up nicely once it set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back