Dive boat ladders

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Cohen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I'm thinking about starting to charter my boat for dives. I was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions about ladders.

My boat is a 2520XL and I live in New York. I only mention it because in the NE, the divers are usually humping 250lbs of equipment (not to mention what they weigh!!!) so the ladder has to be heavy duty.

Thanks
Rick

Armstrong makes a good ladder. http://www.armstrongnautical.com/ladders.htm A 4 step ladder is what you would want so people don't have to chin themselves getting back on board.

You don't have to carry special dive insurance in Florida for divers. Once they are in the water they are on their own. With today's sue happy society I did carry the extra insurance through my dive master card. You might want to check the requirements in your state.

I concluded that Key West must be the very first dive destination for newly certified divers. Putting divers in the water was easy but the stress of whether I would ever see them again once they submerged was too much. :shock: For that reason I stopped in 2003.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. The stress that you spoke of is ten fold in the murky waters off New York. I just got an insurance quote for in-water; it was $5300 a year. I'm not sure if I can pull it off. Time will tell.

Rick

We've got an armstrong 4-rung. Its awesome. I weigh 230#, wear 35# of weight, and usually go in with 2 tanks, and plenty of gear. Never had an issue with our old ladder, which was about 1/4 the ladder that the Armstrong is.

Rick,

I just called my former Insurance carrier. Professional Underwater Liability Insurance that covers divers in the water any where in the USA or the Caribbean were as follows:

$315.00 US per year for $1,000,000
$530.00 US per year for $2,000,000
$620.00 US per year for $3,000,000

$5,300 I don't inderstand

Thanks for the information. I'm going to call them tomorrow. I was floored when I heard $5300/year. I have 2 more calls that I'm waiting for as well. I hope it works out; I'd really like to start booking charters.

Thanks again,
Rick

I had a custom dive ladder manufactured for my Parker. The welder built it to with-stand heavy loads. It is attched to the transom engine bracket. Works very well and have had adult male divers with double's on without any problems.

Attachments

• Side View Ladder.JPG
    Side View Ladder.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,368
  • AUG 2006 021.jpg
    AUG 2006 021.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,368
Rick- i apologize, i wasnt able to shoot pics of that dive boats ladder this weekend because, idiot that i am, i forgot the camera :shock: . theres a very good chance i will be going again next weekend, and this time i will put the camera in the car on thursday :lol:

How much was it to have a customer ladder made? Your set-up looks perfect for my needs.

Thanks for trying with the pictures. If you get them, I'd like to check them out.

Rick

My ladder cost $180.00 installed, a very good deal by today's standard. The base is bolted to the engine bracket and the hinge consist of a piece of aluminum tubing with two screws holding it in place. It's very easy to remove the ladder for days that I am only fishing.

I Just got done mounting an under mount ladder had to custom make a bracket had it powder coated and did the install works great. I do a lot of diving and it's the same kind of ladder i had on my old boat.

Attachments

• IMAG1466.jpg
    IMAG1466.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 813
  • IMAG1521.jpg
    IMAG1521.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 813
  • IMAG1525.jpg
    IMAG1525.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 813
Looks good, but why not go with the armstrong ladder??? You had the mount already.

I don't do much diving but I understand the design of the armstrong makes it easier to climb up with fins still on. Plus, you can pull it off so its not under there all the time.

The armstrong ladder was not very secure, It even fell off during a dive and had to go back down to recover it. As far as coming up with fins on after a dive, I don't. I even teach my dive students, not to do it. I had this same ladder on my old boat and I love it. The only draw back is, you cant forget to store it after your done. I am keeping the armstrong ladder on the boat as well. I will be posting a picture.

Back