Do I need to use compound?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiter

Reaction score
I'v got some dull spots on my 21se (caused by me). I dont want to do any more damage to the gelcoat. I know next to nothing about buffing and polishing. How do I know if I need to use a restoration compound or not? Some parts of the hull are appear shiny. If I use it and its not really required will I damage the gelcoat? Maybe I'll start with polishing and if that doesn't work use a compound. Help.
Thanks

If you have good color and shine do not compound it. Use a finishing product with a buffer and then follow up with a good wax. If your gelcoat is oxidized wash it really good use something like aquabuff 1000 then 2000 with lots of water and a buffer. Follow up with a finishing product and wax. HARD WORK!!!!

3M compound is the best by far for removing oxidation. You need to use a high speed buffer, and keep the buffing pad moist, the gel coat will come right back.
If you look at the picture below you can see how badly oxidized my hull was when I first bought that boat (previous owner didnt believe in wax) I used the 3M compound followed by colonite fleet wax.

Attachments

• parker32.JPG
    parker32.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 242
  • parker33.JPG
    parker33.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 134
Mike which 3m compound should I start with. Ive seen several different types

m2cw

How large is the area?
Small areas can be done by hand if you dont have a machine.
If you have both polishing and rubbing compounds, divide the area in two, and use one on one side and the other compound on the other side. Observe the results
The add a coat or two of pure wax and put on your sunglasses 8)

If the compounds are thick, add some into a discarded liquid dish detergent bottle and thin with water

Best

Brent is correct.
However I have found when you compound by hand you get blotchy spots because you aren't applying even pressure to the area.

Back