"Do it all" cooler and/or coffin box?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
I am trying to find a huge cooler that I can put in the middle of my cockpit deck that I can use for either a cooler, dry storage, or as a livewell ... when I don't take my 50-gallon portable livewell on-board.

Anyone have any thoughts on a big cooler (48” long or > 124-quart capacity) with well-rounded corners? Any overhead pictures you could post here?

For now I've been keeping an Igloo marine cooler in the middle of the deck and the other day we started catching live tinker mackerel to beat the band ... but I had left my portable livewell (round 50-gallon drum type) back at the dock, so I was forced to use my cooler. I have a raw water intake, but with the squarish corners ... while some macks lived (only to die in the belly of the striper bass) most dies after a while, so I'd like to see if I can find a good all-around-use cooler to meet my needs.

NOTE - I don't use it as a cooler that much, so I don't care about the cooling capacity or best-in-class for cooling capability ...

FYI, if I can't find anything to fit my needs, I may just makfe some light PVC "corners" and pop rivet them to the inside of my existing cooler ...

I have the same Walmart Igloo cooler as you. Was out on Stellwagen a 2 or 3 weeks ago. The tuna fleet was there. No Tuna, No Blues, No Bass (not that you can keep bass out there anyways). But you could walk on the Mackeral. Nothing at all chasing them (never thought the blues could get full). Put a bunch of macks in the cooler and they didn't last long either.

I look forward to the respones cause short of using a barrel i'm in the same situation.

I think I'm going to try glueing or pop-riveting some 1/16” HDPE (think flexible cutting/serving board material) into the corners to make a large 6” to 8” radius. Then I’ll add a water inflow to put a circular or oval flow to the water.

What kills the bait, besides lack of aerated water, is when they trap their noses in the corners and suffocate …

Not to self and others ... most coolers appear to be made of ABS material and the wrong glue can literally dissolve the plastic - DOH!

I have seen someone use a large gray Rubbermaid watering trough from the farm store for just this application. The only drawback is you have to make your own cover. Low center of gravity and well made.

PressureRelief":1zm1cvoa said:
I have seen someone use a large gray Rubbermaid watering trough from the farm store for just this application. The only drawback is you have to make your own cover. Low center of gravity and well made.
Hmmmm, a large white fiberglass box would work too ... great idea!

How bout a dock box, Taylor makes these stow and go dock boxes various sizes

Attachments

• 15016.jpg
    15016.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 787
I use the "keg" coolers, or the the big round things you put the keg in, all the time and just let the hose keep running.

I recently bought two 150qt Coleman coolers with seating covers from Cabelas for this purpose on my 2520XL. I use 2 18in bungie cord to make sure they stay in place. I've been out several times in rough water and they are working great. Perfect seating that does not get in the way while fishing.

Thanks for all the input! I just bought this huge cockpit box :D from John from CT ...

Cooler2.jpg

Very nice cooler. I was going to post that you can contact Yeti and they will customize one for you, but you would need deep pockets.

Back