Do Parker hulls benefit from barrier coat like Interlux 2000

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jday

Reaction score
I'm new to Parkers with a 2004 2120 that has never had any bottom paint on it. I will be applying bottom paint and was wondering if a barrier coat was necessary. I understand any hull penetrations should be made watertight.
Are blisters a problem at all on these hulls?
Has anyone on the forum had any blisters on their Parker?
Thanks

Jday":wc9ykju4 said:
I'm new to Parkers with a 2004 2120 that has never had any bottom paint on it. I will be applying bottom paint and was wondering if a barrier coat was necessary. I understand any hull penetrations should be made watertight.
Are blisters a problem at all on these hulls?
Has anyone on the forum had any blisters on their Parker?
Thanks

Hi Jday, I had our Parker 2520 XLD bottom painted out of necessity. (I had to keep it in the water for 3 months waiting for the boat lift to be installed. The company prepped/sanded the hull, added TWO coats of 'barrier-coat' and two coats of paint. It has done ok except for the trim tabs... most of the paint did not stay on the aluminum. I had the same issue on two previous boats; a 27' and 35'. No paint would stay on the underwater metals.

Your gelcoat is not waterproof. Gelcoat is actually quite porous and can allow water to enter which ultimately can lead to "blisters". This is true for all boats, not just Parker. Bottom paint designed to prevent marine life growth is not waterproof either.

If I were to keep a boat in the water for more than a month's time, and need to apply an anti-foulant bottom paint, I would certainly apply a barrier boat first such as Interlux 2000

Thanks for the replies. Barrier Coat is ordered and should have it in a few days.

Yes do the barrier coat! Super cheap insurance and the cheapest part of the painting process compared to an anti fouling paint. I soda blasted my boat and found one spot about the size of a dime that was a blister or a void in the gel coat. I filled it and gel coated it back new then fixed any scratches underneath then barrier coated with interlux 2000 and 3 coats of Vivid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before applying the Interlux 2000 barrier coat, you'll want to degrease the portion of the hull to be painted with acetone. Then scull the gelcoat with an 80 or 120 grit sandpaper. Then clean the hull again before applying the 2000. I'm sure you already knew all of this anyway.

Back