Downrigger Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Mattie

Reaction score
I have a Canon UniTroll 10HS manual downrigger which I use occasionally for spanish mackeral in the summer and for rockfish in the fall (stripers in Chesapeake Bay lingo). When in use at about 20-30 feeet there is a persistant humming vibration. Not loud but annoying. Is this normal?

I was out this weekend testing and used 3 different weights and different release clips without any percieved difference. Depth of the weight does not seem to have any effect nor does varying the length of the arm. I propose to try a smaller swage of the downrigger cable but otherwise I am stumpped.

Does anone have any experience with this problem and how to correct it? Does the hum affect the fishing? To my surprise I did catch a 18" spanish mackeral on the line attached to the downrigger while it was at full vibration/hum, but I expect this may have been unusual.

The hum is typical for downrigger cables. Some guys says it hurts fishing and some don't.

Those that do usually replace the cable with braided line.

Good luck.

Back