Drift stability of 21/23 ft DV Parkers??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyfish

Reaction score
Understanding there are tradeoffs with any hull design...and that I might start a firestorm here...could 2120, 2310 and 2320 owners please comment on whether two average sized guys (let's say, 190 lbs each) can sit on the same gunwale (same side) and fish without significant listing of the boat?

I would not have thought to pose this question except for the recent discussion on CP regarding 21/23 DV hulls listing slightly when at the dock - with nobody on the boat. Seems surprising that, for example, placement of a 40 lb battery (or two, or whatever the issue) is enough to cause visible listing at the dock, naturally I am wondering about drift stability in average Ches Bay conditions (call it 1-2 ft seas).

Perhaps there is some listing with a modest imbalance, but additional weight (e.g. 2 guys on the port side) does not induce more listing because it is counterbalanced by hull mass from the starboard side (?).

The underlying reason I am asking is, as much as I love the stability of my 21SE in the bay, more V would be nice getting there and back!

Thanks Gentlemen.

Bryce Paschal

If you put a couple of 200 lb guys on the gunwale of mine it will list pretty good. Is it going to dip in the water? No. I had an old 18' (actually it was called a 170 but was 17'10") Henry O center consol that had a 23 degree dead rise at the transum and that was really bad with 2 big guys on the same side. Until your boat gets really big, more than 25??, I don't know of any deep V's that aren't going to list more than a mod V will. Like you said, trad offs in hull designs. I think it's one of those things that you will have to try in person and decide for yourself if it's to much list? The list at the dock list everyone is talking about is very slight but it is true. The only style hull that I think may give you deep V ride and mod V stability may be the power Cat hull. I've experienced it on a sailboat but not been for a ride on a power cat. In theory the hull spread apart works just like a pontoon for stability. Otherwise, I don't know any other way around the trade off situation.

I'm a big guy (6'9", #350) and I can tell you that if I sit on the gunwale by myself my 2120 lists pretty damned bad. The issue with Parkers listing at the dock is very slight, just enough to cause a small puddle to starboard. Maybe 1/4".

I can give you first had information about the roll and the listing. Both are real issues but they are what you want to make of them. I remember when my boat was in the water and I would be walking towards it I would think to myself, hmmmm that cant be good. Was never a real problem just looked funny. When I would clean the boat in the water I would have to walk to one side to get the water to drain right. As far as the roll in the water. In normal conditions it was fine, I had the 2310, but on those days when it was bumpy out you notices a nice roll to the boat. This would happen when slow trolling as well. Not the end of the world but I world but it had a roll to it.

Now that I have the 2510 DV if see a big difference. The extra foot in beam really makes a difference. I would not hesitate to buy a 23' DV for use in the Cbay. most days that you want to fish you will be fine and the DV will make the ride a little better on the way back when it kicks up.

My DV 23 CC drifts very, very nicely. The stability on drift is great too. I'll watch other boats get rocked by a wake while in a drift and just be amazed how stable my Parker is. I think it is due the chines and mid ship to stern hull design. You are correct in trades off.'s. Some days I wish I had a 24* knife edge hull, but most days the lack of rock and roll on my 2300 is just fantastic .

I term the 23 Parker as the SUV of boats.

2320 with 5 guys in 1-8ft seas

2-4 guys on one side no problem. When the 5th gets there it heels over pretty good but will not roll over.

Boat has a awesome drift that is very predictable at least for what we do on the west coast live bait longfin fishing

We fish my 23 DVCC with three guys regularly. Have never noticed a major list issue, but it is rare that all three of us are sitting on the gunwale at the same time.

Funny about what Poge said, we refer to mine as the "pickup truck". Always said in an admiring way!

Back