Electrical and really off topic, but...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakr

Reaction score
...this here joint is a fount of smart guys and good advice...

I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger standby generator, probably a 17KW model.

The generator will be approximately 50 to 60 feet away from the house circuit breakers. The wire will run under the main level floor and above the lower level ceiling.

I want as little current drop as possible. The generator provides 100 amps.

One of the contractors under consideration wants to use aluminum wire, but I am more than willing to pay the premium between aluminum and copper. I don't have an electrical "handibook" available.

What I am wondering:

1. Is 4/0 copper wire heavy enough?

2. Anyone know a supplier for about 70 feet of the stuff?

Our local electrical suppliers don't seem to want to provide a length
that short.

Thanks.

P.S. Boat Connection...I'll be able to charge my boat batteries even if SMECO loses power with this new generator...so...it is on topic! :D

It is off topic but ok.
4/0 copper is good for a lot more than 100 amps. I took a quick look and depending on the type of insulation it was good for at least 300 amps up to well over 400. Aluminum maxed out at 305 amps but is generally a lesser conductor.
I won't offer electrical engineering because I'm not an electrical engineer but there are lots of good wire sizing calculators on line http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/wire_siz ... lator.html
This one says that you can use #6 which is what my reference book said. Of course there are local codes that you might want to consider and you would definitely want to go up a size or two.
I would not recommend aluminum.
I made the call to use aluminum over copper on a big project about 14 years ago. We have had issues with expansion and contraction. We still have a lot of it but I wouldn't do it again.
Check Ebay for your wire. It's amazing what you can find there.
Good luck.

Peter

Back