Epirbs, PLB's, VHF Antenias and Inflatable Life Jackets

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to reach to my Parker friends out for some advise on the above topics. I'm sure I could probably have split these up given the amount of things to be discussed. Anyway, this season I want to venture out more than the 7ish mile range that I have done so far with my 2120 to chase some larger type fish. In my area I should be able to get into Mahai, Tuna and Grooper etc.. In that 30 mile or less range. From what I've read and talked to folks about, a lot of this in actually under 25 miles. Anyway, I currently have a ski type vest for my soon to be 13 year old and the usual bag of cheap life jackets to make the boat legal. My VHF has one of those small 2 or 3' whip or mast head type Antenias mounted on a plastic mount. I don't have any EPIRB or PLB. I know that I need a nice stainless antenia mount and I'm thinking an 8' antenia? What make for both and advise on these is what I'd like to hear. I'm thinking about some nice inflatable type vest (maybe self inflatable) so they are comfortable to wear and my son doesn't complain about wearing it. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't complain much as he's a good kid but it wouldn't matter as he still has to wear it. I want to get a good one as his mother expects me to bring him back when we venture off shore. :lol: I also need to wear one too. Any advise would be appreciated.

As far as a Epirb I use a SPOT GPS locator. http://www.findmespot.com/en/

My wife and kids got it for me for hunting but it is waterproof and I use it on the boat too. I wear it on my upper arm and if anything were to happen one button push and it contacts authorities with my location. I believe these are cheaper than an EPIRB but I've never researched it. It requires a yearly subscription. I like the fact it works well for hunting also and has an "I'm Ok mode". The wife can also track my location on an app on her phone (might not be a great feature for some folks).

Steve

Here are some of the things that I carry that might help your cause.

#1, I carry a PLB in case of emergency.
In my case, I fish the Chesapeake Bay as well as occasionally running boats up and down the coast.
For this reason, I bought a PLB that is registered to me, rather than an EPIRB that is registered to the boat.
This way, I can take the PLB with me on whatever boat I happen to be on, and be reasonably sure I'm covered in case of mishap.

#2, PFD's
I carry a number of PFD's, both the 'vest' type, as well as inflatables.
I carry the Mustang Survival 'suspender' type (manual activation) as well as the Mustang 'fanny pack' style (also manual activation) seen on my helm seats in the photo below.
The 'fanny pack' style is worn with the PFD on the front of your body, and my grandkids wear them without issue.

#3, For the best 'reach' from your VHF, always select at least an 8' antenna mounted on a stainless mount.
Mine is a Digital brand, but some people like the Shakespeare brand.
Whatever you do, don't scrimp. Buy the high end antenna of either brand. Your safety depends on it.

#4, I carry my safety gear in an ACR floating 'ditch bag'.
Probably too much gear in it to float well, but I do have a painter line attached, just-in-case. :wink:

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 01 PLB.jpg
    01 PLB.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 281
  • 02 PFD's.jpg
    02 PFD's.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 03 ditch bag.jpg
    03 ditch bag.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 04 life jackets.jpg
    04 life jackets.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 05 antenna.jpg
    05 antenna.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 281
  • 06 antenna.jpg
    06 antenna.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 281
Thanks Lv2 and Mega for the feedback. I did check out those Spot locators and the price is right on those. I'm not crazy about the subscription and third party aspect though. I think the ACR is where I'm leaning. I'm thinking about attaching it to an inflatable vest on my son but it's not real clear to me how it would attach and if thats the best thing to do. This ACR unit below is the one I like. They are about $260.
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalo ... 0ItbG.dpbs

This is one of the vest that I'm looking at. In the description it seems tonote that it substitutes for a type 2 or 3?? What's the deal with how these are classified?
http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Deluxe-Au ... +life+vest

Kevin, I just purchased that same life vest bag that holds 6 of the standard vest. I like your set up and think I'm going the same way. I already have the handheld VHF and the hand flares but I want to purchase a ditch bag and the 12G type flare gun. I think if your in the water you need to be able to shoot that signal up for best results. I like the ACR bag. This one is about $50
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalo ... l39i7.dpbs

I've read some other threads here about the Digital antenia and if I understood it correctly, they have a sodderless connector that can be used? I only need about 2' of cable as my radio is mounted on the cabin ceiling with the antenia almost directly above it. So I'm assuming I will need to cut and resize it.
I have also purchased new Attwood 2 mile LED Nav lights (Red/Green & 3 mile All Round too). I need to install them. After that all of my lighting except the spreader will have been replaced with LED and more importantly, all connections will be good with heat shrink. By the way, I saved the dome light from the cabin if anyone wants it. It has some pitting though. Free to a good home. I also replaced the horn, which had stopped working, in the fall with a Wolo. Its definitely loud.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200382541

Lots of projects lining up for the spring.

The PLB that you linked to has the onboard GPS which is what you want.
When I bought mine, the RapidDitch bag was thrown in for free. Might want to see is someone (like BOE Marine) if offering that deal.

The Mustang suspenders that you linked to are the automatic style. They inflate automatically after you hit the water.
I chose to buy the manual suspenders thinking that I wanted to decide when they should be inflated, as I could see instances where someone might hit the water, but you might not want them to inflate automatically.

Whichever ones you choose, buy a couple of extra inflation kits so your kids can actually try them out, and see what they do.
Better they know ahead of time what happens when they go off ! :shock:

I own a 12ga flare gun as well as a 25mm flare gun.
My take? The 25mm is more expensive (initially) and the 25mm flares are a *lot* more expensive, but I would still buy the 25mm gun, and this is why...
The 25 mm gun comes with an insert to allow you to use the high performance 12ga shells in the 25mm gun, or without the insert for the 25mm shells.
Best of both worlds, and now you can carry both shells. 12ga for 'short range' and 25mm for 'long range'.
Even once the 25mm shells are 'expired' by date, they are still good.
If you look at my photos, I separate my 'current' pyrotechnics from my 'expired' ones. Whenever the CG inspect me, they like that I have them marked and separated and they never complain.

Finally, the Digital brand antenna has a mini connector (for lack of a better name) that allows you to thread the cable through a hole the same size as the cable.
Once the cable is threaded, there is another connector that screws on, and completes the installation.
But... do not shorten the antenna cable ! I'm not a VHF guy, and my terms might not be correct, but that cable from radio to antenna needs to be a certain minimum length.
Think of it as needing a certain impedance, and shortening the cable will degrade it's efficiency.

Perhaps someone with better VHF knowledge can explain the why... :)

Thanks Kevin. Good stuff and what I need. Thinking about that Auto inflation system, you may have a point. One example, what if we are in the cabin with a roll over situation? I can see how the auto inflation may be a bad thing here. Something to consider? How to handle shortening the VHF antenia cable is what I need to figure out. Hopefully someone will chime in. I think Warthog knows about this topic, maybe I'll send him a PM or he will read this.

Some years ago I was participating in a Wish-a-Fish event here, and one of the boats in the fleet had an emergency...
A live well hose broke on a center console and water was pouring in and the bilge pump could not possibly keep up.

I heard the very brief distress call on the VHF at the north end of the fleet and spun around and headed south looking for the boat in distress.
We found the boat at the south end of the fleet overturned with people in the water.

I maneuvered as close as I dared to the people in the water and my son-in-law (with a Mustang Survival suspender PFD on) went into the water and began bringing folks to my boat.
We got three victims (out of 6) on board my boat, and about that time an adult came to the surface beside the stricken vessel with a child in tow.
They had been trapped underneath in an air pocket.

That pretty much told me I had made the right decision on automatic versus manual.

Interesting. Scary thought. Things can go wrong in a hurry. Exactly why I need to get my act together before heading out 15, 20 or 30 miles with my son without backup. It would be nice to find a buddy boat for those trips.

1 mile off or 30 miles off, the same rules apply.
My rule... if you have a live well or a raw water wash down, the seacock is turned off when not in use.

We have had 2 boats in my marina sink at the dock for the very same reason.
The seacock was left in the open position, and a hose broke while the boat was unattended.

It's also why I have a high water alarm on my boat.

Megabyte":y0m3pvc6 said:
1 mile off or 30 miles off, the same rules apply.
My rule... if you have a live well or a raw water wash down, the seacock is turned off when not in use.

We have had 2 boats in my marina sink at the dock for the very same reason.
The seacock was left in the open position, and a hose broke while the boat was unattended.

It's also why I have a high water alarm on my boat.

That's why I keep it closed also. Speaking of which, I need to replace mine as it's getting a little rough. The list never seems to end.

I have ordered the ACR Rescue Link+ $249 and the ACR Rapid Ditch Express bag $45 from BOE. I'm still kicking around the life vest but leaning towards an inflatable belt pack for myself and a vest type for my son. Also, still in need for advise on how to shorten the VHF antenia cable?

I got an inflatable vest and found it surprisingly uncomfortable. I took it back and used the refund to buy a regular fisherman-type vest for 1/4 the price. It is much more comfortable (in the store, haven't tried in action yet) and seemed lighter. The fanny pack may be even more comfortable and unobtrusive, but I didn't try one.

Just my 2 cents... You may want to try on one of the inflatables before buying one. You might find them more comfortable than I did, though...

Badfish":27xa6dow said:
I got an inflatable vest and found it surprisingly uncomfortable. I took it back and used the refund to buy a regular fisherman-type vest for 1/4 the price. It is much more comfortable (in the store, haven't tried in action yet) and seemed lighter. The fanny pack may be even more comfortable and unobtrusive, but I didn't try one.

Just my 2 cents... You may want to try on one of the inflatables before buying one. You might find them more comfortable than I did, though...

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that you found it more uncomfortable than the full vest. I may hold off purchasing them until my next trip to the boat as there is a good West Marine store in Morehead City where we can try on all of these styles. My thoughts were that the inflatable being less covered area would be cooler and maybe more comfortable in the summer heat? These vest, either style, aren't cheap for good ones so I really want to get it right the first time. Thanks again for your feedback.

not sure about the rest of your questions, but as for vhf antennas, a great bang for your buck is the shakespeare 5225xt. some guys on forums were talking alot about antennas, and some magazine articles were rating them in terms of construction and range. the 5225xt has some major range for the price. if i recall, it got about 12 mile range and only cost about $100ish. in my personal experience, i went cheap with a 5206-C which only got me about 6 miles... and i quickly tossed it out and got the 5225xt. digital vhf antennas are built amazingly great, but cost more and didnt get quite the distance.

Here is what I have ordered so far. A Digital 529 VB 8' Black VHF. A Shakespear 4187HD SS Mount.
http://www.boemarine.com/digital-8-vhf-antenna-black/
http://www.boemarine.com/shakespeare-41 ... het-mount/

I decided to go with the Mustang Survival HIT Inflatable for my son when out on the deck fishing. This one is their latest and greatest vest and is actually rated Type ll. model 3183-02.
http://www.boemarine.com/mustang-hit-in ... red-black/

My plan is to order 2 of the belt pack style for while in the cabin. Mustang Survival model 3075.
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreati ... country=25

I needed to get the Antenia coming for install during my spring project time. I'm going to order the belt packs, ACR PLB, their Express Ditch Bag and a flare gun next month. Need to spread out the boat love and the surprise on my AMEX bill when my wife opens it. :shock:
Thanks for everyone's input.

My two cents on some of the issues discussed-

As far as the EPIRB/PLB debate goes, both have their merits. Kevin is right that with the PLB, you can take it with you should you go on a different boat, and be perfectly in regulation. (Frankly, you can do the same with an EPIRB; it's not ideal but so long as the person you have listed as your primary contact knows what's going on and can point the CG in the right direction, it's still going to send a locating beacon regardless of what boat it's on. Whole lot better than not having one.) Other advantages of a PLB are size and cost for battery replacement. What an EPIRB offers over a PLB is twice the battery life and the ability for automatic release and activation. Also, should you end up in the water, an EPIRB will float upright and continue to broadcast, whereas a PLB will need to be held upright to broadcast, and if you'be ever tried holding something upright at arms length for a couple hours it gets pretty taxing. I'd stay away from the SPOT as a primary distress beacon, personally. The battery life isn't as long, the distress alerting is less streamlined, the positioning data isn't as good, and it also has to be held upright. Plus, does your wife really need to see that you and your son are sitting out over your favorite fishing hole? Not to mention if you're running it continuously, it'll either need to be plugged in or you'll be running the batteries down in case of an emergency. It's a cool toy, but not what I'd consider primary safety equipment.

The inflatable vests are a good choice, but I think I'd save the cash for the extra "fanny pack" inflatables for in the cabin use. My choice would be, unless you find the inflatables to be prohibitively uncomfortable, wear those instead, as they're a better vest. Instead of buying the fanny packs, I'd HIGHLY recommend purchasing a GOOD Type I life vest for every person you intend to take offshore. Those little Type II Walmart horse collars are a JOKE if you have to spend any time in the water; and if things ever go really south I'd be reaching for the Type Is over an extra inflatable. Type Is will turn a person upright in the water without effort to maintain that position, which is a big factor in conserving body heat and avoiding hypothermia. They provide significantly more buoyancy too.

Totally agree with Kevin on the 25/12 flare gun. You can load up on cheapo 12ga red star shells and have a few parachute flares in the 25mm for the staying power. I'm a mariner by trade, and trust me, you CANNOT HAVE ENOUGH aerial flares if you're trying to get a ships attention at night. We can't look in every direction at once, and things that seem bright on land lose a lot of intensity over long distances at sea. I carry somewhere around 20 12ga star shells; plan on using 3-4 for any ship that you're trying to alert. The CG requirements for pyrotechnics are absolutely laughable.

Other things I'd make sure to have: first aid kit (obviously), but take it apart sometime and see what's really in there. Better to be familiar with it then to be fumbling around when you need medical supplies.
A dry bag full of towels, blankets, and warm clothing, if you have a MOB situation or end up picking up others that have been in the water, you need a way to warm them up. They can be stuffed in a locker until needed, or used as a cabin pillow/napping supplies. I devised a bungee cord system across the inside slanted portion of my cabin overhead that holds my 6 Type Is, some rain gear, and my towels/blankets and such.
A decent portable spotlight that plugs into the cigarette lighter because no matter how hard you try you'll probably forget to keep a rechargeable charged (unless you're a lot better with that stuff than me :lol:) Even if you don't intend to be out at night, there will come a time when you stay out a little longer for a hot bite and then need to pick up buoys in the way in, and a permanently mounted one is actually more difficult to use than a handheld. Plus it'll likely crap out on you at the WORST possible time.
Look at getting either a Lifesling throwable or a rescue heaving line; liferings and those float cushions make you legal, but they do nothing to help you get a MOB back to the boat. Either way, PRACTICE throwing it, it's not as intuitive as it seems.
A handheld VHF is a good addition to a ditch bag, especially one with the option of a AA battery tray. Several manufacturers make one with a GPS so that takes care of position data unless you want the redundancy of a backup GPS navigator, in which case there are lots of good inexpensive options on the market. Keep spare batteries on hand in either case.
It's pretty much impossible to have too many flashlights. Buy a bunch of mini-led maglites and stache them everywhere. Same goes with folding STAINLESS knives.
Get a good tool kit. The ones sold as marine package deals are usually ok, but keep in mind you'll need to supplement them. A hammer, vice grips, several bigger adjustable wrenches, any specialty tools, plus the usual staples of duct tape, assorted zip ties, electrical tape, hose clamps, and shop rags, and you can address damn near anything.
And, last but not least, a towing insurance policy, in case you're past the toolkit but not quite at the EPIRB. :wink:

Thanks for your feedback Pelagic2530. All good information and points. Some of it I have any many I dont. Handheld VHF with battery pack back up, first aid, tons of tools/duct tape etc.. All good. I have a house mounted spot light but my portable I had for 20 yrs gave out a few years ago and I didn't replace it due to having a mounted one. Again, thanks for your well thought out advise!

Changed my mind on the PLB and canceled the original order last month after some second guessing and feedback. Just got around to ordering the ACR Aqualink 406 @ $359. I decided to go with the Aqualink 406 due to the unique registration capability of who I am etc.. vs the ResQLink+ which does not have that. Also ordered it from West Marine because they have this rebate deal of free stuff that nobody else including BOE has right now. This deal ends today FYI.

Promotional Offer
$159.96 Worth of Safety Gear
(1) Firefly PRO SOLAS Strobe Light (1) 168 Piece First Aid Kit (1) ACR Headlamp (1) Waterproof Phone Case (1) Survival Paracord

Back