F-200,225,250 corrosion problems.Fact or fiction?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micheal J

Reaction score
The title says it all.
NOT trying to open up a can of worms here folks.

Just trying to get ANY info that I can.

Everyone here has always been helpful,I'm hoping for the same on this topic.

Thanks in advance. :D
MJ.

MJ, google yamaha corrosian problem,,the photos will remove the fiction from it, i think that we will be seeing a lot more of this as these years in question are showing problems after 3 to 4 hundred hours, also this site has a few post n photos on it,,,,i think you have a 08 f150 or f200? the problems are with 02 to 04 some say to 05, f225s from what ive read,,,

It is fact, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9822

I have twin F 200's with 950hrs and zero issues and/or symptoms. Just pulled the boat today, will inspect the exhaust tubes in the coming weeks.

I read where it appears to be limited to OBs left in the water all year long in warmer climates ...

Well to be quite honest I'm scared as heck about this :?

I've been doing a little research on "other" sites ,and Yammi doesnt want to spring for any repairs untill it fails,IMO that is just not cool.

Well I'm about 4 months until my 3 year YES warranty runs out.
Mine says it was manufactured Aug/06.I now have 607 hrs on it ,and it's time for its service. I've done everything from Yamahas book,and all work has been done by a Marine machanic.
Im gonna take it to my Yamaha guy and have him inspect it,document it,and we'll go from there.

Where I do my boating and crossing the channel in the Northern Channel Islands is no joke.To have a engine failure out there...even if I have my 8hp kicker could be my last trip anywhere.

I'll know more by hopefully the end of next week.
Stay tuned.
MJ.

I did alot of research on this and just finished a repair on a 2002 F225.

There does not seem to be a simple answer to your questions but here's what I know.

1. the engine needs to be operated in salt water for the corrosion to occur.
2. 2000-2005 seems to be the years
3. 150 -250 hp 4 strokes seems to be the engines
4. first sign is overheat at idle
5. major corrosion in exhaust tube causing oil pan to corrode and engine failure due to oil leaking out.
6. Yamaha covers some of them and not others

On the one I jsut repaired the exhaust tube was cracked and burned through, it did not get through the oil pan as we caught it early.

Seems to me to be 2 things.
1. really bad design
2. defective metal in the exhaust tube, adapter plate and silencer.

Attached are some photos

Attachments

• exhaust tube.jpg
    exhaust tube.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 551
  • adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 551
  • silencer.jpg
    silencer.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 551
  • oilpan.jpg
    oilpan.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 551
Good research (and photos) there Striperswiper.

Sounds like a combination of the use of a (former) questionable alloy and environmental conditions.
Sort of like what happened to the fenders and rockers of the late 70's era pickup trucks.
It also seems like Yamaha knows about the issue and fixed it in 2005/2006.
Something to look for when servicing those lower units!

Thanks for adding to the CP knowledge base.

Well I brought the boat home w/ a clean bill of health. Ran it 89 miles in epic conditions,grabbed a bug,a crab,limit of RF's w/0 problems.

Seems the motors that sit in the salt all the time,and troll,or just putt around have some issues.

So bottom line...run em hard....run em fast.....flush em out.

My Yammi guy does all the service for the Harbor Patrol boats here locally.....told me they have over 11,000 hrs on em.......yeah I know,that isn't a miss type.........Eleven Thousand Hours.

I wanted to call BS,but he just told me I have the bomb motor........time will tell.

Happy Holidays to all
MJ.

I have a 2002 f225 with 775 hours. it is on a 2520
I just got the boat a few months ago. The exhaust always sounds a little loud to me, but different engines sound different and it was my first Yamaha, didnt give it alot of thought.
I have noticed that when th engine is runnign there is a noticable oil sheen on the water. Like what you would expect from an older 2 stroke or diesel engine.
Just recently I have occasionally gotten a low oil pressure alarm and the engine goes into a protection mode. oil level is OK. I can clear it by shutting down and restarting, and sometimes it comes back, sometimes not.

Does this sound like the corrosion problem?
The boat is going to the dealer on Monday, but I wanted to be prepared.

Sorry to say but yes it does sound like it.
The one I did had the alarm going off at idle not when running at any speed.

Oils sheen is probably a hole in the oil pan due to a burnt exhaust tube. The tube runs right down and through the center of the oil pan. When the tube burns through the hot exhaust burns through the oil pan next.

Look at the pictures above and you'll see the crack in the exhaust tube.

Another item to check is the drive shaft oil seal. It will need a special Speedy sleeve for Yamaha OB, a new oil seal and oil pump.
There is a Yamaha service bulletin and Andy at SIM has the parts. When my seal is replaced, the exhaust tube will be checked and replaced. I expect it will need replacement. Thanks for the great write up

Back