factory rigging on 2013 23 DVCC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captmatt

Reaction score
I recently joined the Parker family with a 2013 23 DVCC. So far I am really pleased with the boat. The ride is excellent and it makes a stable platform for the fly and light tackle fishing I do.

I have been working away on installing electronics, lighting and rod holders.

Tonight I found something that is unsettling to me. I was running wires and some strings up the rigging tube from the bilge to the console for a transducer and an LED light for the bilge. I found out that the rigging tube only runs about half the distance. The tube ends and the steering hoses and all the wires just run across the top of the fuel tank near the pickup - they are not secured and no chafe protection is evident.

I am really surprised at this!! I do not think this is good building practice. Let me also say that my boat was ordered with batteries in the console, so that may be a difference from boats with batteries in the bilge.

Anyone have any thoughts? Seems like there is not much I can do about it now. No boat is perfect, but this seems like really poor work in an area that is now nearly impossible to access.

In the process of installing a Blue Sea ACR, I also found that a few shorter sections of battery cable were untinned wire - just regular copper welding wire. I replaced them, but was surprised to find them.

I hate to post negative observations, but I am wondering if others have seen this type of construction on their boats.

I noticed the same on our new 2013 21SE. The wires sit on top of the tank and no rigging tube. I am not impressed. I foresee this to be a problem in the near future. Luckily most of the electronics were pre installed, but adding anything else is going to be difficult. I don't remember our 2004 2320 being rigged this poorly.

I was trying to run down a problem with my bait well pump when I discovered this issue as well. I always thought the rigging tubes went all the way forward to the console. I was very surprised and disappointed by this. I have not had any problems yet in this area (the bait well pump was a loose connection at the switch) but it will be an area to keep an eye on. It definitely won't make re-wiring the boat any easier when the time comes. Mine is a 2009 2501 so hopefully it won't need new wiring anytime soon.

I was also surprised by the frequent use of crimped wiring connections throughout the boat with no heat shrink or protection from the salt environment. Maybe it's just me, but I expected more.

Back