Finding stuff out about Parker (crack in cockpit deck)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelyNauti

Reaction score
Montauk lat 41.04'18.33N lon 71.55'33.05 W
Ok First Parker, 3rd boat, haven't even got it delivered and found out this...

I had an punch list 29 items long on my boat prep and i found this....

The boat had a small crack in cockpit deck....about 1" in gelcoat.....a small no biggie repair...WRONG turns out that i was informed that unfortunately its common since 2006 and current due to parker using plywood and leaving knots ...... When the knots dry out the check and crack....it was a huge knot and they had to dig it out and fill.....

I just want all of you with 2006 and newer models if you get a check crack on deck that its no biggie but u r going to want to do a proper repair !!!

Seems everybody is trying to save
I hope someone is listening!!!

My 2005 2520XL had cracks in the deck which I had repaired last year. I notice two more cracks this year. I am really curious if boats by other manufacturers have a similar problem?

Do any of you realize when the cracks show up? not disputing the cracks. I have noticed some stress cracks but nothing so far in the deck. could the colder weather have something to do with it? Does it ever end up being anything more than cracks in the gelcoat or is it into the wood? Which if it is into the wood maybe you are getting moisture in the deck?

Are due to the use of knotty plywood... suprise i was there when they did the repairs and it was the knot that dried out and check cracked causing the gel to go with it ...that twice on one deck in 1 month one was there b4 i bought and the other i saw upon delivery after they put it in water and washed it well

I've had mine a little over a year, and no cracks yet. I am confident that if one occurs, my dealer will get it repaired......Why worry?????????? Go fishin'.

Marine ply is not like the sheathing ply that you find at Home Depot. Marine ply has 7 layers in it, where building grade has 5.
In addition, if there are any knots in a ply of marine grade plywood, the knot is removed, and replaced with a plug of smooth vernier. There are no knots in Marine grade ply.

Therefore, if your deck was as you say, I do not believe that the wood in your deck could be from the factory and might possibly be the result of a previous owners repair. Do you have any photographs of the area in question?

Read up here on how marine ply differs greatly from building ply:
http://www.greenwoodproducts.com/default.htm

I am greatly offended and await an apology from MegaByte...

Listen my friend
I am not here to fight or argue just to have fun and help but i cant stand naysayers who dont now when to remain quite........

LOOK AT the link u sent me and read under marine it states that there are knots.....

Surface is c grade tight knotted.......man on man .........pissed me off

I have been doing construction for well over 20 years...
First MARINE GRADE HAS KNOTS "STK" or as you will clearly read in the link YOU SENT me it states clearly that there are TIGHT KNOTS aka "STK" (SMALL TIGHT KNOTS)
Wow please....
look before you leap...
I work with marine goods all the time, trust me they have knots as small as they are. They sometimes are too big and should be removed and filled in.
This is my case for sure

I was there to see the first crack repair the knot was over an 1 1/2" in diameter........

I am not attacking simply defending myself.... for all of you click the link he posted then look up speciality, then scroll down to marine and then read where it says "HAS small knots" type c......

Don't mess with me i wont mess with you .. I help you if i can

I am a good guy, i will help anyone one and I is a college graduate ....lol a little joke sorry....

Just because I am a contractor does not mean that i am uneducated and i am quite well versed in many things such as:

CNC fabrication in the swimming pool and hot tub industry
Roto,high pressure and other forms of injection moldings of some plastics
Fabrication of copper bearing steel and similar alloy metals
Fabrication in most types of aluminum
General residential renovation
General residential construction
High end kitchen and bathroom projects..

so here i sit all wound up over nuthin..lol but man my goat is had .....

ITSvthe LITTLE things that hurt the most.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ReelyNauti":mmpq9zrn said:
I am greatly offended and await an apology from MegaByte...

Relax there cowboy...

You can be offended all you wish, but all I asked for were for some photos and some proof of what you say is true. We are all a visual bunch here at CP. We like to see things.

Greenwood marine ply would not result in the kind of problems that you relate, but photos of the area in question could back up your claim.
Just trying to separate the reality from the supposition.

I don't doubt that you are a good guy. Just trying to help to understand the problem that you see on your deck, and see where we can go from here to help you resolve the issue.

Help us help you.

lol i forgot Tom Cruise "help me to help you is" , "VERY GAY"

Although , I admit I did chuckle when I read it.......

Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding JR. are not my favorites...

instead lets all just help each other.......

LOL STILL CANT BELIEVE YOU QUOTED A SCIENTOLOGIST/ACTOR
huge laugh...... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back