Fogging Yamaha 4 Stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeFlies

Reaction score
I have a new Yamaha 200HP 4 stroke and have been reading conflicting opinions about how to fog the engine. I know about changing the oil, greasing the fittings, etc, but the options I read about fogging are as follows:

(1) Just fog the cylinders through the spark plug holes and crank the engine a few time (that's it) or

(2) In addition to the spark plug holes, also spray fogging oil into the actual air intake vents

(3) or take off the 3 test port bolts and spray fogging oil into them (some people have made their own homemade "octopus" apparatus out of tubing to do all six at one time) or

(4) Take off the silencer covers and spray fogging oil directly into the intakes

(5) What about the VST tank - just stabilize fuel and make sure it's throughout the engine or drain the tank?

Thanks for the help.

Suit yourself, but I wouldn't even bother. it'll only probably be layed up for 3 months anyway. I don't bother and never had a problem. I wouldn't think twice about parking a car for 3 or so months without fogging it would you??? :roll:

Last season I fogged but this season I am not. I ran last in late November and I hope to run again in early March. I will let you know how it goes.

I pull the spark plugs and spray the fogging oil directly into the cylinders. I remove the safety lanyard and crank the motor a bit to coat the cylinders and walls.

96TL":1mtb60qm said:
I pull the spark plugs and spray the fogging oil directly into the cylinders. I remove the safety lanyard and crank the motor a bit to coat the cylinders and walls.

This is what I was told to do and did it..

BuddahB":jp524l89 said:
Suit yourself, but I wouldn't even bother. it'll only probably be layed up for 3 months anyway. I don't bother and never had a problem. I wouldn't think twice about parking a car for 3 or so months without fogging it would you??? :roll:

I agree. I think fogging can do more harm than good in a 4-stroke. and for a 3 month lay up? It cannot be good for the plugs @ $10.00 a piece or any of the sensors.

I replace the plugs in the spring after I run the motor and burn off the fogging oil.

And plugs are much less than $10.00 a piece from Andy at Shipyard Island Marina. 8)

Dom

After fogging the first season I had a rough run the first time out. I ended up realizing that I needed to change the plugs which solved the issue. I have read posts that guys keep old plugs that they use just for fogging. Take out your good plugs, put in the "fogging" plugs, fog away and then put the good ones back in after you have run your engine for a bit in the spring. Seems like the right idea. I paid $8.00 each for my yammi plugs so they aint cheap.

After fogging the first season I had a rough run the first time out. I ended up realizing that I needed to change the plugs which solved the issue. I have read posts that guys keep old plugs that they use just for fogging. Take out your good plugs, put in the "fogging" plugs, fog away and then put the good ones back in after you have run your engine for a bit in the spring. Seems like the right idea. I paid $8.00 each for my yammi plugs so they aint cheap.

This will be the first year I puled my Parker with F250 so I've been thinking about this too. According to the yamaha owners manual "remove plugs, poor 1 teaspoon of Yamaha motor oil into each cylinder. Turn over the engine manually a few times". Replace the spark plugs.

Seems like a good middle of the road approach that shouldn't foul plugs.

I also agree about leaving it for 3-4 months, should be Ok.

One other thing, the fuel stabilizer I used, which was run into the engine claims to have anti-corrosion addtives specifically to assist during stroage. So there you have it .... Take your pick..

PaulH / Emily S":1p99ju16 said:
This will be the first year I puled my Parker with F250 so I've been thinking about this too. According to the yamaha owners manual "remove plugs, poor 1 teaspoon of Yamaha motor oil into each cylinder. Turn over the engine manually a few times". Replace the spark plugs.

Seems like a good middle of the road approach that shouldn't foul plugs.

I also agree about leaving it for 3-4 months, should be Ok.

One other thing, the fuel stabilizer I used, which was run into the engine claims to have anti-corrosion addtives specifically to assist during stroage. So there you have it .... Take your pick..

A little tip- If you find yourself looking at the spark plug hole with a bottle of oil in your hand scratching your head try this. Get a large syringe from your local vet or Southern States and you can simply inject the correct amount of oil into each cylinder. Makes a good all around applicator and also works great on lubing sealed squeaky ball joints or tie rod ends. Just stick the needle through the rubber seal and whola!!

I personally think fogging a new model 4-stroke for a 3-4 month lay up is redundant. Burning heavy oil in a modern day engine with O2 sensors and such seems like a bad idea regardless what Yamaha says. Just my opinion. I personally add Stabil prior to my last trip of the season and fill the tank on my way in. good to go. In the spring I change all oils and filters, grease all fittings per manual and check plugs. So far 300hrs the plugs have been changed once and the original ones removed at 100hrs. Looked like new including the gap not changing at all. The current plugs have 200 hrs., still look new and have maintained the gap as well. I keep the original plugs on the boat as spares and do not plan on changing the existing plugs until they actually need it. A good friend of mine has a 4 stroke Yammie with over 2000 hrs and has done NO SERVICE, NONE. His motor has not even burped. Not recommended but a good testament to the quality of these motors. He is a waterman and most of his hrs. are slow speed checking pots.

Back