Fuel Gauge Calibration

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duct Man

Reaction score
Before I splashed the boat friday thought I would top off the tank even after seeing the gauge reading one mark above 3/4 tank. Well when i proceeded to fill the tank the next thing I know i have put 80 gallons in. So apparently the gauge is not reading correctly lucky for me i found this out at the pump instead of 25 miles offshore. My question is do the gauges need to be calibrated to the tank or is there a problem with the gauge or sending unit or maybe both? Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2008 2320 sl with Yamaha 225 and 150 gal tank.

No calibration needed. Issues with sending units are at least with my boat caused from the tank being 173 gallons. They have the sending unit towards the back of the boat. Therefore when your boat is planing or sitting on a trailer with the front higher than the rear it will show more fuel. I have found that my boat goes from full to 3/4 in about the same time it goes from 3/4 to 1/4. This is probably do to the fact that the boat naturally sits so the fuel goes towards the back of the tank. I have found the best way to keep track of fuel is remember how much fuel you put in or write it down somewhere and either pay attention to the command link as to how much fuel you burned. Or you can set up the feature on the command link to tell it how much fuel you have at a full tank and reset it whenever you fill up. But you have to fill up the entire tank anytime you do that. Another option depending on your gps is Network the command link to the gps. My garmin 4212 keeps track of the fuel and has a function so i can add fuel by the gallon instead of having to reset the entire fuel gauge for a full tank. This is a nice feature when throwing 30 gallons in at a time so you dont have to think about it just look at the computer.

So to answer the question no need to calibrate.

My sending unit is also in the rear of the tank. I have noticed while moving the tank is always full. I dont think it is as big as problem now that I am aware of it but it would be nice to have it read right at least when it is sitting. With the fuel econimizer gauges it is possible to keep track some what close but I hate to guess if or when the time comes that I need it all to get in :shock:

Hi. Yes, as stated is more important for the user to be calibrated to the gauge and setup (as in read only whilst at rest) as all too often these are fixed units and can't be calibrated.

That said, the most accurate will be the WEMA type, and not those that use a floating arm. See: http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=776

Marine fuel gages are notoriously inaccurate.
Do a search in the Projects area for fuel computer or fuel transducer or fuel flow meter and you will find lots of information.

Having a fuel computer on board will take the guess work out of how much fuel you have used, and how much you have left.
A fuel flow meter is a much better option than a fuel gage.

Back