fuel gauge problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbieleck

Reaction score
The fuel gauge on my 2520xl stopped reading. It just blinks on the lowest bar even though I have filled the tank twice since this has happened. I removed the sending unit and it wasn't stuck and seemed to be working correctly. Is there anything else I should look for or could it be the sending unit even though it looks fine? Could it be something in the wiring or is there a fuse anywhere that could be blown? Thanks in advance for any input.

check your connections on the wiring. chances are you need a new sending unit. if it wasnt getting any signal then you wouldnt see the tank at all on there.

I had the same issue and I popped open the acces over the sender and cleaned the ground and all was fine, but since it is so innaccurate I just installed a FloScan and now I know exactly how much fuel I have as well as my GPH that I am burning.

Thanks Brad, that's what I was thinking too. BTW, I see we are from the same neck of the woods. I hope to see you one day at Peanut Island, I'd like to see the tower you put on. B.M. I'll check the ground wire connection and see if that is the problem. If not, I'll try a new sending unit. The sending unit doesn't look like the typical unit. Do you all know if I would get a new one from Parker or from Yamaha? Thanks.

If you call Parker with the hull identification number (HIN) of your boat, they should be able to tell you what sending unit your tank takes. They might even have one in stock.

There is also an identification sticker on your tank right near the sending unit. You could also call the tank manufacturer with the identification numbers listed on your tank and get the sending unit you need.

Two options...
Hope this helps.

I would bet my last 5 dollars your sending unit is bad. I started a thread last about this exact topic. I was having the same problem and found it was my sending unit. It's really hard to tell it is bad. It has nothing to do with the float being stuck. When you hook the sending unit up to a meter and move the float it produces a differnt charge as you move the flot up and down.

To be honest I have no idea how to troubleshoot the sending unit but my dad understands it. We should get a tutorial for checking it someday. But to be brief replace the sending unit or take it to someone who knows how to check it properly.

Good luck.
-Matt

BradV,
This is my boat. Pic taken today at Old Key Lime House in Lantana. We were up at pnut island after that.

Attachments

• parker at key lime house.JPG
    parker at key lime house.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 144
Back