Fuel Management

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Speeder

Reaction score
I am in a 2016 1801, I have the 40 gallon tank with the garbage inline fuel vent that makes topping off the tank difficult. Usually, I just fill the tank up every time I get to half full, but with all that's going on in the world, I am trying to minimize the number of times I hit the gas dock unnecessarily.

The Yammi fuel gauge only has the bar graph, and when I am out cruising, that is all over the place. What are you guys down for fuel management, are you running the tank close to empty and then filling up? Is that 40 gallon capacity all usable fuel? I assume the fuel amount at rest is the "true" amount?

Anybody install a separate fuel sensor to get a better reading on what's in the tank?

I usually fill up when it is at the half full point. It usually takes about 15 gallons. I really rely on the total gallons burned mode on the yamaha gauges...it is 95% accurate. When the tank is filled up I reset the total gallons burned. I am still shocked how little fuel is consumed...2018 1801 115 Yamaha. Thinking about upgrading to a 21 CC DV with a 200 Yamaha ...but the low cost of running the 1801 has me rethinking at times.

On my 2012 F115, I went straight from the engine computer to the Lowrance gps, and got real time miles per gallon, and gallons remaining. Accurate to within a gallon, after a few fill ups and calibrations. Can’t remember if I had to run a network back bone or if it was just a cable. There is an unused plug on the front of the engine to make that connection.

and when I am out cruising, that is all over the place.

The gauge will read what the sender says....The problem is the sender....It has the cheap swing arm style sender.

Change it to a Reed style....And that gauge will be a LOT more stable

warthog5":zbcvqwly said:
and when I am out cruising, that is all over the place.

The gauge will read what the sender says....The problem is the sender....It has the cheap swing arm style sender.

Change it to a Reed style....And that gauge will be a LOT more stable
Awesome, thank you very much. I just did a little research and I will be making this upgrade in short order.

Inshore Chaser":zx48nz2e said:
I usually fill up when it is at the half full point. It usually takes about 15 gallons. I really rely on the total gallons burned mode on the yamaha gauges...it is 95% accurate. When the tank is filled up I reset the total gallons burned. I am still shocked how little fuel is consumed...2018 1801 115 Yamaha. Thinking about upgrading to a 21 CC DV with a 200 Yamaha ...but the low cost of running the 1801 has me rethinking at times.
Yes, this package is super efficient... which is why I want to start letting the gas gauge go below half full. Doing that will greatly reduce the number of times I need to deal with the gas dock... which is annoying on its own, let alone with the pandemic going on.

I top off at the dock, reset the burn and use that. A typical trip for me if 65-85 gallons and I generally find I'm within 1 gallon when I top off. The specs say 137 gallons. The most I ever burned was 115 and it filled back at 114.2. Since that much fuel has a big impact on my mpg, I will run it down to 30 gallons or so if I'm going to be local. Two points, the burn on my 300 is very accurate and I've put 600hrs on it so far in 3 years. Second is, have a towing service regardless.

edit: 2017 2320 w / 300HP

Back