Fuel Monitor Guage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2520XL with twin 150 Yamahas. I do a lot of trolling here in the Chesapeake with one engine turned off. When the starboard engine is turned off and I am running only on the port engine, the fuel gauge that tells you the amount of fuel consumed is "off". My question is Does the system still monitor and give you the total amount of fuel used with the port engine running and the starboard engine turned off? Therefore, if I know that I have a 176 gallon tank and look at the amount of fuel consumed and it reads 120 can I depend on having 56 gallons in the tank even though I have trolled many hours on the port engine?

Thanks

I don't think it does unless the key is turned on for the other engine, I know my fuel computer goes off when running on one engine, don't remember if its Port or Star but if the guage is off, its not monitoring fuel as far as I know.

sounds like only one engine is hooked up to the fuel management system thru one of the ignition switche-the Starboard engine

You may nopt be gettin greadings on the port engine when running both engines only the starboard one-doyou need two fuel monitoring sytems for you set up?

danielb":nva5p938 said:
doyou need two fuel monitoring sytems for you set up?

No , you just need to leave the key on for that engine so the unit gets power. You can monitor Port, Starboard or BOTH right through the guage.

So Bryan: Are you saying that when I am trolling with my port engine only that I need to leave the key turned on for the starboard in order for the fuel system to register fuel usage by the port engine?

I believe so, haven't confirmed it myself though.

I don't know if sending power to a non running engine can damage anything over time, very least is your hour meter will tick away while that motor is not running.

My motors click when the key is engaged then stop after about 3 sec. Do the 150's do the same??

Bryan: I don't know if the engine clicks with the key on but engine not running but I do get an alarm to sound for about three seconds then shuts off. I believe the alarm is just an alert alarm to warn anyone that the engine is about to be started.

Bryan: I talked to my dealer today and they said that as you had said I need to keep the starboard key turned on to provide power to the computer that monitors and calculates the fuel usage. Now I need to determine if the computer on simply the gauge or somewhere else and send data to the gauge. If I determine that maybe I can put a switch into the circuit to feed voltage to the computer when I am running on the port engine. What do you think of this idea?

turning the ignition on to the non running engine will run the engine hour meter and also activate the whole pre start testing for the engine and all systems for that engine will be "on".

the switch idea soulds like something to explore, a question I have is: if you are running both engines are you are really getting the fuel consumption for both engines or only one engine?

Switch idea sounds good.

You can choose P, S or both on the gauge. Each engine has is own "transducer" for the fuel flow. Mounted o the inner transom on my 2530.

Bryan: can you tell me how to select P, S or Both?

I looked at the connection to my fuel management gauge and there is no way I am going to mess with the connection. It has a plug with about 6 wires feeding data into it? :oops:
I am interested in your selection of P,S or Both, didn't know that existed.

Thanks for the feedback

summertime, check to see if you have two fuel transducers in each of the fuel lines running to the engines, these send fuel flow info to the gas management system- once you discover that you have two then find out how to select port, starboard or both in the fuel management instrument that you have in the dash.

Just press mode and it cycles through.

I have the round style guage, not sure if the square ones are different.

Bryan: Was at my boat today and found the P, S or Both function. However, if the Starboard key is turned off, it does not register fuel usage by the Port engine. I guess I will have to live with it and rely on the fuel level meter. I assume that the gauge for the fuel level in the tank is a linear function, i.e. i filled the tank today and counted the number of bars illuminated = 8, 176 gallons thus 22 gallons per bar. I guess that is better than nothing.

You need to look into putting diodes in the power supply leads that will only allow the current to flow only one way. I did this years ago with twin engines and a Navico fuel flow unit. Did it for the same reasons you are trying. I will look and see if I have any info about the diodes, but I think they were only for 12 volt and one direction ,nothing fancy.
Seems to me I put one in each of the signal lines from the transducers then tied them to the p/s leads to the gauge. Might have mixed this up but I will research and post. However this will get some minds working,,because I know it will work.

I found the bars on the fuel guage NOT to be linear, I assume the arc of the float arm to cause the guage to drop quicker at the extremes, regardless I still figure approx 20 gallons per bar but I always try to keep the tank 1/2 full unless there is posibility of a tuna trip in the near future then it stays full.

Bryan 2530":25wh7w2m said:
I found the bars on the fuel guage NOT to be linear, I assume the arc of the float arm to cause the guage to drop quicker at the extremes, regardless I still figure approx 20 gallons per bar but I always try to keep the tank 1/2 full unless there is posibility of a tuna trip in the near future then it stays full.
That's why non-moving part and linear replacement fuel senders such as those sold by WEMA USA are so phenomenal!

See: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=776

Bryan 2530":25wh7w2m said:
... with the CRAP gasoline we have today though ... the best advise is to never keep on board more fuel than you're going to use. This E10 crap goes bad as measured in days :shock: ... not in months like the old fuels!

Back