Fuel tank question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2320park

Reaction score
2005 2320 Parker- I been checking my fuel tank for rot. Mine looks good but heard stories that after 8 years guys have found leaks.
Can I hear about your tanks-How old before you found any leaks.
I have kids on my boat most of the time and just want to know if I should have it pressure tested soon.
Thanks

I haven't herd of any tanks rotting out at an exact year.
My 2320 is 14 years old and knock on wood I haven't had any problems.
With a 2005 boat I would say you got plenty more worry free years.
Vent the bilge all year long and you should avoid any problems.

TimC2520":ck371stw said:
Keep it dry down there and you should be good for awhile as stated. My 1999 is still original.
My '92 is integral and by venting my bilge ALL Summer - I expect to keep it that way.

My bro's '87 GW tanks are still sound and my last tanks was 27-years old when I sold her and she was still OK. So let's see, mine is going on its 22nd season ... so I expect to be concerned about it in another 10-years or more ;) .

Stick your nose into the bilge and inspection ports and do the smell test first. If no smell, no need for a pressure test. My 99 still going strong.

I am one of the unlucky ones. Mine developed several pin holes at eight years old. I bought the boat from the original owner who had installed a bait tank on deck above the fuel tank compartment. It seems that at some point the supply hose began leaking and eventually flooded the fuel compartment. The foam surrounding the tank was completely saturated. I'm guessing with that amount of water saturation, it would be nearly impossible to get it completely dry.

I been checking my fuel tank for rot.

That's a pretty good trick or your magical? LOL

The only thing you can see is about 6in of the top of the tank in 2 locations....

The ONLY way to truely know a tanks condition is to remove the tank ....Then you can truly inspect it.

But no one is gonna do that, as it involves cutting the deck.

The point is.....Put it out of your mind....If you find a leak....Then worry about it.

I've cut and or removed a bunch of them over the years. Never in a Parker.......Yet.

WhalinDave":144yjelc said:
I am one of the unlucky ones ...
Ouch ... that's too bad, as I'm under the opinion that if/when properly cared for, the tank should last the usable life of the hull. In 45-years of hanging around in boat yards, I can count on just a few fingers the # of tanks I've ever seen replaced!

WyeKnot":2fgsfibh said:
My tank is still going strong after 21 years........1993 25' Sport Cabin.

Hope to still be saying it 10 years from now.
VENT the bilge ... and you will be ...

Add a dorade box onto the helm cabin for positive air flow and a 'stink pipe' vent on the aft tank inspection port, plus open any/all cabin ports and crack all windows ... and your bilge will be dryer than the land tortise environment being thrown into the BLM/Bundy land grab in the West ...

FYI, do a search for 'bilge vent' under my name for the vent stink pipe concept ...

Back