Fuel tanks, Sending units, ethanol

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Reaction score
FishFactory":2ft00756 said:
After 7 seasons of unleaded regular, ethanol, and now recreational gas I decided to look inside tank. The fact that I "ran out" of fuel with half a tank of gas made me accelerate inspection. :D

Inside of tank was/is spotless....less than a half thimblefull of rust/debris/pepper sized particles in bottom of than. FWIW, "plastic" fuel p/u tube actually hits tank bottom and is cut on a 45 to allow fuel in. "Floating" debris will never be sucked in fuel line. The 2nd fuel pick-up is complete...in an emergegncy, or testing one could simply switch from one p/u to other.

I had planned on ordering a WEMA tank sensor, supposed to be the best. No need, when I removed Parker OEM, guess what...already had a WEMA installed.
:wink: I think Cbigma once posted all 5 screws had stripped heads. Same here. Had to remove some with wire cutters. No problem, simply cut a slot in heads with my Sazall and bi-metal blade. Again, as Cbigma and Atlanticbeach both posted, don't overtighten, screws are aluminum. Also used AtlanticBeach's suggestion to use Permatex #2 to seal.

Checked the tank vent again. Not restricted or kinked where reverse loop is.

Bottom line......the only possible reason I can find tht the motor was fuel starved (filter sucked dry) was a sticking anti-siphon valve. I drilled out the flange that holds check ball in place and disguarded.

I can see no real reason for the ASV on an outboard. I'll drill out every one in any future boat I own....but "that's just me" :D

This just proves my point. Mixing fuels doesn't cause problems.
Improper maintenance and lack of proper winter storage does.

Isn't it nice to find a nice clean tank? I had to clean a friend's motorcycle tank out last night. It had gas sitting in it for 2 years. Luckily, it hadn't varnished up, but it was well on its way (dark yellow and some particulates). We had to wash it out with fresh fuel twice to get it nice and clean.

Congrats on inspecting the tank. I think if more people inspected their tanks we'd have fewer calls for help.

FishFactory":2zcqnd88 said:
Inside of tank was/is spotless....less than a half thimblefull of rust/debris/pepper sized particles in bottom of than.

How HUGE is that "peace of mind" factor now that you have seen for yourself that your tank is clean and shiny :wink: Nuthin like it.

Back