Garmin 740S mounted on/in dash? Any issues?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfunandson

Reaction score
Need to replace my Garmin 182c chart plotter that is dash mounted on my 2120, looking at the Garmin 740 and 547.

Just noticed that the 740 is claiming to need 32" from our compass? Impossible in our 21-23 foot Pilot houses, center consoles without hanging it. I know some of us have this unit on or in the dash have we seen any issues or is this a legal liability thing on their behalf?

PS the 547 claims to need nearly 18".

Lots of us here have our electronics flush mounted.
It's never been an issue for me.

Attachments

• helm.jpg
    helm.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 122
I put 740s in the dash with my radar in my 2310 last fall it didn't seem to change my compass

You see that older 2010C that Kevin has....No Problem.

In Garmin's infinite wisdom they decided to install a magnet on the Chip access door on newer models. It screws a compass up by about 4 degs.

I put the 740 on my 2320, it did not alter my compass much at all, although it is a terrible design on Garmin's part with the magnet in to card door. You should have no problem.

Attachments

• garmin project 2.JPG
    garmin project 2.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 110
  • garmin project 3.JPG
    garmin project 3.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Parker helm 2.jpg
    Parker helm 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 109
I experienced loss of Gps signal, needed an external antenna for best performance, and slight deviation on the compass when I mounted mine.

I was looking at the 740's for the 2nd station. They leave a LOT to be desired when you compare to a 6208.

Back