Garmin Sounder

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamaster

Reaction score
Hello I'm hoping you guys can provide some advice

When I bought my boat in 2007 I had the dealer instal a Garmin Chartplotter with a GSD-21 (analog) sounder. The chartplotter has been trouble free, the sounder is another story. I'm on my third and it just failed again today. It is the second one this season that I received just two weeks ago, Garmin has not yet even cashed my check for the replacement fee!
The last time it failed Garmin told me I should consider upgrading to the GSD-22 (digital) sounder; however they were not willing to provide me any incentives to do so. So I'm stuck paying another $80.00 replacement fee (+ shipping) or upgrading to the GSD-22 at $500. What do you guys recommend? Is there another option you think I should consider?
Aside from the money all the down time is killing me, I appreciate any advice

Thanks!!

Haven't had the same issues with my GSD-21, but have seen numerous 22's for sale in the $275-$350 range. People buy the 3210 network kits and ditch the sounder.

Keep your eye out on THT (thehulltruth.com) and other sites in the for sale section.

Those going from GSD20 - 22 see a significant improvement, but I'm not sure that you will see it from a 21 - 22. At least that is what Jim at BOE relayed to me based on my needs when I considered upgrading.

Good luck - downtime during the season is never fun!

I have the gsd 22 with a shoot thru 1kw ducer. no problems yet. If you have the money to spend to get the gsd 22 why not? If you dont then pay the $80 and get back out. Chances are though that they have a warranty of more than 2 weeks so they should fix it again. I just sent back my 4208 to have worked on no questions asked.

Back