Gas Fumes After Filling

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey Jim

Reaction score
I noticed a strong gas odor after putting my 1801 in the slip 2 weeks ago. I attributed this to the 40 gallons I put in the tank (in addition to 7 already remaining) prior to trailering to the ramp. The fumes were strong in the console storage area, stern battery box, bilge, and livewell dry storage area. However the gallon or two of water in the bilge from rinsing anchor-chain swivel etc. in rope locker, did not smell like gas. I left all the doors open and the vapors went away and were not present on the next trip. Now yesterday I put 30 gallons in at the fuel dock after a trip, as the Northstar gas totalizer indicated only a few gallons remaining in the tank. I never put a full 60 gallons in. I slowly made my way to the slip and started to clean the boat. I again noticed strong fuel odor in the battery switch-box, and console storage. This time I was certain the boat was not tilted, such as that on a ramp, or sloshing from rough seas. Can anyone explain this? If I were to have a tank leak, wouldn't I have gas odors after every trip? Can anyone tell me if there is more tank venting other than that on the outside of the port hull?

You could get odor if filled too much in cold weather and then heats up.

Usually can smell at vent. If you smell otherwise you should check your vent line hose connection at the tank for tightness.

I would do this first.

Can check at gage sender too after. Tell us how old the boat is.

Dana

dcunniff":2klnl4p6 said:
check at gage sender too

That is a common area for leaks, if the gasket is not sealing properly.
A full tank will cause it to leak around the sending unit.

Jim - I had the same problem in my 2520. After filling up, I would get gas fumes. My problem was the hose that went from the fuel fill to the top of the tank. I pulled the hose and close inspection revealed that there were fine cracks where the fuel hose bent. I assume the pressure while fueling was enough for the gas to leak through. Before panicing, I would check the lines for the gas fill as well as the vent lines.

Brad

dcunniff":2qcupjiz said:
You could get odor if filled too much in cold weather and then heats up. ...... Tell us how old the boat is. Dana

Boat is a 2002, and it was an 80 degree day before, during and after the fill when noticing fumes.

Boat was only filled to half, and immediately and gently idled over to slip where fumes were detected. I favor the fill-line cracks theory, but would like to pin it down without taking too much apart. There are two round hatches in the deck (fore and aft). Are these the only two connections to the tank, and which ones have what fittings? How do I remove these plates/covers, and will they need re-sealing once I remove them, and if so, with o-rings or sealant?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Jim

Jersey Jim":2t8lvqdi said:
There are two round hatches in the deck (fore and aft). Are these the only two connections to the tank, and which ones have what fittings? How do I remove these plates/covers, and will they need re-sealing once I remove them, and if so, with o-rings or sealant?

The hatches are pop-outs and all you need to open them is a wide, flat-blade screwdriver.

Image-D1183183182711DB.jpg

The rear one has your fuel level gage, and the forward one has your fuel hose and vent hose.

I bought a 2820 xl back in november. I topped off the fuel tank before putting it in the water for the first time. Once in the water i started smelling gas in the pilot house as well as the bilge. I called the dealer and he came the next morning. there was a very slight amount of fuel weeping from around the fuel sender. he replaced the gasket yet it continued to weep gas. upon closer inspection there was a hair line crack in the top of the sender, where the gas would weep out from. Once the sender was replaced the weeping stopped. I would check the gasket on the sender first, as well as the fill line and vent line. if it is not there then it might be the sender.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The aft hatch being more probable makes sense, even with just my half-tank or so, since the fuel tilts in that direction. I can't seem to remember, but I hope the hatch-slot for inserting a screwdriver, is off to the side instead of being up against the livewell. I hope Parker had the insight (if factory installed), to rotate the hatch base 90 degrees. It's amazing how far a drop or two of gas will go when it comes to fumes. The problem usually smells worse than it is.

If you do need to rotate the hatch, leave the center section in, remove the screws, then carefully pry the hatch off the deck.

Clean up the sealant and re-bed the hatch (after indexing it) with some marine silicone. The holes in the hatch and the deck should line up no matter how you index the hatch.

Check for my post in the Projects section for photos and a step-by-step on re-bedding the hatches.

Good luck!

Back