gps shuts off couple other problems

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerronzo

Reaction score
today i noticed my gps kept shuting down apon each restart of the engine (gamin 4210) then by the end of the day my 1 battery went dead switched to 2 battery started right up but didnt notice if the gps still shut down apon restart batterys are 3 years old i bring inside every winter and put on a charger 2011 parker yam 250 so does anybody have any thoughts on why my gps keeps shuting down apon restart im thinking i may have screwed up when i put the batterys back on the boat this year i may have put a wrong wire on one of the terminals ? my second problem is with my windless profish 700 each time i go to drop or pull up the anchor the rode keep sliping out and i have to run to the bow and put it back in so is there a adjustment on the windless that the rode will stay in place

The GPS is designed to have a minimum amount of voltage. If it is below that or above that it shuts down to protect the system. When you started the motor the draw from the starter put it below. Sounds like your batteries need charging or potentially being replaced.

I don't know about your windlass though.

Steve

That is referred to as "Spiking" your electronics. It's not good for them.

Sounds like your batteries need charging or potentially being replaced.

No.....You need a dedicated "House" battery and get your electronics off the Start battery.

Warthog,

Can you do a definitive post on battery wiring, house vs starter, switching etc? Maybe Dale or Kevin could put it under projects as a sticky. This seems to come up a bit.

so i went to the boat today took the batterys off the boat and brought them to the auto parts store to have them tested batt. 1 voltage12.52 measured 787cca rated 840cca temp.68*f batt.2 volt.12.51 meas.763cca rated 840cca 68f so i think the batterys are still very good next i put all wires on batt.#1 and batt.#2 has only a pos and neg with a ground coming from the fuel tank neg. starting the boat again same thing happened gps shut down when i restarted the boat so from there i let the boat run for a good 5 minutes or longer shut it down and the the gps stayed on so is it fixed lol i have no clue say if im on a drirft for ten minutes will my gps shut down time after time .key in the on position voltage 12.3cranked motor over volt. 9.4 gps. shut down HELP ME IM LOST AT SEA

It's going to keep doing it. You have NOT fixed the problem.

key in the on position voltage 12.3cranked motor over volt. 9.4 gps. shut down

There is the problem. 9.4V will cause electronics to drop out/ Shut down.

You have to get the electronics on a "House" battery. Use the Starting battery to Start the motor. The house powers everything else.

Wired like this. Forget the optional fuse at the House battery. Not needed. The other one going to the switch panel I use a Blue Seas Surface mount CB. Not a fuse.

http://www.bepmarine.com/media/product/ ... 0805d2.pdf

BEP Cluster Switch.

You start your day by turning the Start switch and the House switch to ON.
At the end of the day you turn them both OFF.

It doesn't get any simpler than that. You don't have to remember to turn from Batt 1 when going out and switch to Batt 2 on the way back in. Just something else that you have to remember.

OK so what goes on with it is done all automatically thru the VSR [Voltage Sensitive Relay]

The Relay is in a closed position. As soon as you hit the key to crank the motor the relay opens, due to sensing a large surge of current.

Ok the motor is cranked and running now. The relay is still open. The Alt is charging the Start battery until it reaches a set voltage and charge.

Then the relay closes and is back charging Both the Start & House Battery.

Now another feature that happened when you hit the key is your electronics were ON and wired from the House battery. This will stop any spiking of the Electronics. They don't like to be spiked!

OK...Now your out sitting on the beach. The motor is OFF, but you have the Radio playing for hours. The Relay senses the drop and opens the relay again. The radio is still playing, but the relay just disconnected the Start battery out of the circuit so that it stays at Full charge to start the motor.

When you get ready to leave the beach and crank the motor the alt will charge the Start battery first and when it's back up, the relay will close and charge the House battery.

There is one more switch on the Cluster. It is the Combine switch. Think of that as Jumper Cables without having to dig them out and hook them up. This switch would normally be in the OFF position, until you need a boost on the start battery. Then turn it to ON. After the motor is running turn it back OFF.

Everything is all Automatic. No thinking about it. Your batteries will have a much better charge in them.

The unit pictured above is just slightly larger than a Perko switch. So it doesn't take up much room and takes a LOT less room than the Blue Seas version. It looks cleaner too, due to the cables that are needed on the Blue Seas version.

The cost is aprox $150 for a unit for a single outboard and 2 batteries.

warthog ty by the way for the help im looking into that switch right now any other advice would be much appreciated

bikerronzo":240q7r6g said:
key in the on position voltage 12.3cranked motor over volt. 9.4 gps. shut down
I like those BEP clusters Warthog recommends, but if it were my boat, I'd first do some resistance checking on all of the related battery cables, to from the motor to the batteries, battery switch, and main harness run that feeds the GPS.

TESTING: I'd REPEAT that testing done above using only one battery at a time. And WHERE are you measuring those voltages? You could have corrosion built-up in some cables or wiring that is peeling off or inhibiting the transmission of energy.

Even a new battery or that BEP cluster could fail if the wiring that encompasses all of the parts 'to work as a system' is flawed or suspect.

BEP Clusters: When you buy one, make sure to read Warthog's post on how top properly "marinize" it BEFORE use on a boat ... as they only come with UNprotected and UNinsulated automotive type connections, per Bobby's experience ...

I had a problem with my Garmin GPS/Sounder shutting off. It turned out to be the card inserted in the card reader unit containing the mapping data. I opened the card reader door , removed the card, wiped it off with a cloth, put it back in and it has functioned flawlessly since then. I attributed it to some minor corrosion, dirt, vibration, etc. from the environment causing some electrical problem. It may not have been the problem at all but it solved the shutting down issue (at least for now).

Yeeaaaaa! You can do that....but.... I'll just say this. You will like the BEP Cluster switch and the cleanliness of the install much better.

still havnt found what i believe to be the problem now i put a buddys battery on my boat and the gps never went off once but the strangest thing is on the yamaha gauge his battery was lower volts at key at start and running but once again gps never shut off so i guess what my question is can my batterys both of them be bad even if they tested good 3 year old deka batt.) so now i need new batterys ill start with one and see what happens any suggestions on that also lol thanks again

One of the probs with a failing battery is that it can show max voltage after a charge but will quickly go south after the slightest load.

bikerronzo":3s25z50i said:
so now i need new batterys ill start with one and see what happens any suggestions on that also lol thanks again

Not cheap, but you'll be hard pressed to find better.

Attachments

• Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
jeffnick":fhnfdxo3 said:
One of the probs with a failing battery is that it can show max voltage after a charge but will quickly go south after the slightest load.

This is why the battery needs to be fully charged and then "Load Tested"

image_21950.jpg

Back