Gross Tonnage Calculation for Coast Guard Captains License

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I have a 2520XL and I am attempting to calculate using the "Simplified Method" the tonnage of the vessel for the purpose of applying for a "Captains Master License". Depending on the results of the tonnage will determine if I qualify for a 20 ton or 50 ton Captains License. The length (25'4") and width (9'6") are easy to conclude but the depth is not as easy to determine except if I measure it and that is a little difficult.
Has anyone else done this and what was the reult that the Coast Guard accepted.

I went all around on the calculations trying to figure that out when I first applied.
Ended up using 5gt for my boat and secured a 25gt license the first time.

Next time I renew, I can easily step to a 50gt, but I'm working on getting time on a 100gt vessel. :wink:
We will see. :)

Hi Megabyte: I met you at BOE Marine one day last Spring. Nice to hear from you. When I use the "Simplified Method" of calculating the tonnage in my Parker I get 5 tons if I use the depth from the keel inside the bilge to the top of the hull without the cap i.e. depth = 3'8" but if I use the same measurement put to the top of the gunnels 3'11" I get 6 tons. I need to check to see if the 5 ton will qualify me for 50 ton Master Captain. I have more than enough time on the water with my Parker it is just a matter of tonnage. I will check to see perhaps the 5 ton will get me Master 50 ton.

You only need one day on a vessel of sufficient size to step up, so you might want to consider that.
Before you apply, see if you can catch a day ride on a larger vessel and make sure the captain signs off on your Sea Service form. :wink:

The 50gt license used to be the smallest the GC issued, but I'm pretty sure now the smallest is the 25gt license.
I have the 25gt Masters ticket with the assistance towing endorsement, but I've been collecting Sea Service forms the past few years.
Next re-new I should be good for 100gt, or at least that is my goal.

Good Luck on the 100 ton license. I also have the towing assistance endorsement certificate when I apply for my license. My next effort is to get the TWIC card. I have everything else ready. Thanks for your info.

Your 2520xl should be about 7gt, I just got my merchant mariners credentials this feb. Good luck

To get a 50 GT license you need at least one day on a boat over 40'. If you can go out on a charter boat and help to mate for a day, the Capt. can sign your sea service log.

No you don't have to be on a 40' boat, it just needs to be 5 gross tons or more. Your parker 2520xl is all you need to get your 50t license

Back